AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two 50x0 units. Within about a week they both started crashing upon connecting to the replaytv server for the guide. I have a 3rd that I just got back from them for service and it's fine. (Thus hopefully ruling out my network/internet)

They are connected using ethernet and both will pull an IP fine and connect as far as getting the time, but as soon as it's time to get guide info, they restart. Both would also say they are currently recording at odd times during the process. I suppose it could be a coincidence, but it seems odd to me.

I've replaced the HDDs in both over a year ago, and all has been fine on that front.

I am considering refreshing the OS install but dread the job. I am also considering resetting one, but dread the loss of shows etc.

Was just hoping by chance someone would have a similar experience and know a good course of action.

TIA

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
You could just try clearing the channel guide and seeing what happens after it reboots. You won't lose your recorded shows, nor need to setup anything. The most you need to do is a manual net connect after it reboots.

To clear the guide, hit 2-4-3-Zones and then choose the clear guide option (I think it's the first one). Some will recommend clearing the guide twice in a row, but I don't think that helps all that much.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace987 /forum/post/0

You could just try clearing the channel guide and seeing what happens after it reboots. You won't lose your recorded shows, nor need to setup anything. The most you need to do is a manual net connect after it reboots.

To clear the guide, hit 2-4-3-Zones and then choose the clear guide option (I think it's the first one). Some will recommend clearing the guide twice in a row, but I don't think that helps all that much.

Interesting tip, I never knew about that secret service menu before, thanks!

Turns out that simply clearing the channel menu didn't quite get me there, but it did turn out to be a piece of the puzzle. After clearing that, trying to get the guide info still caused it to crash, but if I then went back to teh service menu and used numner 7 - Net Connect, it did finally all work successfully.

Both units responded successfully and I am a happy camper!

Thanks again.

·
Registered
11 Posts
You can also use dvarchive software to download the shows on your replay and upload them again later.. no worries about losing shows!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Headache /forum/post/0

I have two 50x0 units. Within about a week they both started crashing upon connecting to the replaytv server for the guide. I have a 3rd that I just got back from them for service and it's fine. (Thus hopefully ruling out my network/internet)

They are connected using ethernet and both will pull an IP fine and connect as far as getting the time, but as soon as it's time to get guide info, they restart. Both would also say they are currently recording at odd times during the process. I suppose it could be a coincidence, but it seems odd to me.

I've replaced the HDDs in both over a year ago, and all has been fine on that front.

I am considering refreshing the OS install but dread the job. I am also considering resetting one, but dread the loss of shows etc.

Was just hoping by chance someone would have a similar experience and know a good course of action.

TIA

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I'm a huge fan of DVArchive and have used it to save some sacred shows in the past. However, it does seem kind of slow to pull shows over. I get between 350 and 400 KB/S, so a half-hour show at low quality (roughly 430MB) takes around 20 minutes. I guess one could concentrate on the best/irreplaceable content and make short work of it, but I guess my question is, "Is that the normal speed?"

Always wondered...

·
Registered
130 Posts
the question asked was is that the normal speed?

My experience is that yes if there are any other functions accessing the hard drive, recording, playing or sending to another source then yes it is the normal speed that should be expected.

If you ensure that there is no other extended drive access then it can be hurried however, there are risks involved with the possibility of the RTV crashing. I do not regularly use them as my needs for getting shows off is not that great. There have been many discussions here and in the various other Replay forums including Gerry's DvArchive forums and as always using some of these things can cause risk which is why I am glad Gerry put the "change at your own risk" type warnings in the settings areas of DVA.

Of course these are my opinions and YMMV.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.