AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to spend $5000 on a 2 channel amp and speakers.

What would you recommend?

The source at the moment is lossless digital audio on a Mac with an Apogee Duet as a DAC.

My taste in music is pretty varied. It's easier to say what I won't listen to rather that what I will listen to.

I detest the following:

HipHop/Rap

Opera

Most of what would be current top 40

My preferences:

Most avante garde

Classic rock (Led Zep, etc.)

Prog rock/metal

Blues

Jazz

Anything that challenges the norm

My listening environment:

A 10' x 10' room (I know not ideal)

My current standard:

Grado RS1i headphones connected through the Apogee Duet and a tube headphone amp.

Darcy

·
Registered
807 Posts
If you're only going to have the one source - computer audio, then just get an amp and some speakers. The Duet has volume control doesn't it? If not you can use your computer for volume control and no need for a piece of electronics with volume control. If you want the ability to switch inputs, or if you just have to be able to use a remote to control volume then look at an integrated amp. The current crop of imported Chinese stuff offers incredible value for the money, this is a good place to browse - http://www.pacificvalve.us/

For speakers I'd budget at least $3000 towards them, and more like $4000 if you're going to keep the Duet. In a room that size I'd personally go for the absolute best 2-way possible. To match the detail and resolution of the headphones to which you're accustomed, you'll want a detailed and transparent speaker. With your budget you'd be able to purchase a design using the RAAL tweeter, and I personally wouldn't settle for anything less.

Don't forget to budget a couple hundred towards room treatments - a couple corner traps and 4-6 wall panels. Even a couple large artifical plants work for that purpose.

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
^^^

while i really like that choice, it might be tough placing them in a 10X10 room... not "impossible", but "tough"... with them placed 18 inches off the wall, the front of the speaker will be almost 3 feet into the room... figure a seating position 2 feet off the back wall, that only leaves the op 5 feet away from the speakers, and that wouldn't be optimal (wish i had the link to dennis' explanation on this, but i can't find it)...

not saying i wouldn't do it (i'd find a way to squeeze mine in
), but he'd need to put a bit more thought into it... if the op is interested in salks (and i'm delighted with mine) it would be worth giving jim a call (number can be found here ) and see what he thinks...

that's a nice budget to work with... there's a lot of good choices for that kind of coin... and in that room, i'd expand my choices past towers and also include a bookshelf/sub combo...

whatever the op decides upon, corner traps are likely to be an absolute must...

ymmv, imo, etc.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have an excellent 2-channel system in that range.

With a little shopping on ebay and audigon you can get high end stuff for a lot less. For 5k you can build a great system.

Like you, I use a computer as my server. I built it just for that - excellent! I challenge any server to compete.

To go from computer (or anything) you need a good DAC. Internal soundcards are less, no matter the cost as these days they are geared more toward video. Do not buy a cheap DAC for a 5K system.

I use the BenchMark Dac/Pre. It is my DAC and my preamp. For good music you will need a good DAC, and there are some good ones that cost less, but this is a good solution if you have 5K to spend.

My speakers are Sunfire CRS- 3, but if you want impressive floor standing, go with something like Polk VM 30. I have those and with a sub - excellent, and cheap these days on Amazon.

You will need a sub, and on ebay you can get a lot of good used ones in the $800 range, or if you have the room - go for the Epik Empire which is only about $800.

As to an amp - back to ebay. Buy a vintage Carver - it will make you proud!!

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
That room size sounds perfect for a linkwitz pluto, if you're willing to accept its somewhat unusual look

http://www.theorionspeakers.com/spea...tom-built.html

You won't get a better sounding commercial speaker in this price range, for a small room at least. It's actively bi-amped so amplification IIRC is part of its price. honestly it's so simple you could build one yourself by purchasing the plans, otherwise just a custom build one.

Even as great as the salk HT2-TL is, it's still limited by its passive crossover IMO. The pluto is also omnidirectional in the midrange which is like little you'll ever hear besides real life.

As it only extends down to 60hz, yes you would need a subwoofer but I'd still recommend one with the salks because at the end of the day the best placement for a subwoofer isn't necessarily the same best placement for great imaging. you could get the matching pluto subwoofer(s) or maybe a rythmik F12 or two.

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
^^^

those would look WICKED cool in one of those loft apartments/condos that have all the plumbing/ducts/etc. exposed...
done up in black with a bit of "beauty" color added in spots, they'd be perfect....

not really sure why you think the passive xover in the ht2-tl's is "limiting", unless you are referring to the ability to make the speaker "active"... if you'd like to make them active though, you can have them made with external xovers that can be easily removed to allow an active xover in the chain...

i personally wouldn't, as i would likely not be able to do as good a job designing a xover network as dennis did...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the feedback so far. It sounds like I should be able to get a pretty good setup with the budget I have so that's encouraging. It also sounds like I have a lot a lot of choices so I have some more research to do. I'm not in any kind of rush so this is good.

·
Registered
807 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Velocity /forum/post/19573020

That room size sounds perfect for a linkwitz pluto, if you're willing to accept its somewhat unusual look

http://www.theorionspeakers.com/spea...tom-built.html

You won't get a better sounding commercial speaker in this price range, for a small room at least. It's actively bi-amped so amplification IIRC is part of its price. honestly it's so simple you could build one yourself by purchasing the plans, otherwise just a custom build one.

Even as great as the salk HT2-TL is, it's still limited by its passive crossover IMO. The pluto is also omnidirectional in the midrange which is like little you'll ever hear besides real life.

As it only extends down to 60hz, yes you would need a subwoofer but I'd still recommend one with the salks because at the end of the day the best placement for a subwoofer isn't necessarily the same best placement for great imaging. you could get the matching pluto subwoofer(s) or maybe a rythmik F12 or two.

Passive crossovers are in no way a limitation, all that matters is how it's implemented ... and in that regard active xovers have the same limitation.

The Pluto is a decent speaker, but the OP can do much better with his budget.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.