AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I'm just trying to finalize my decision on which tv I should buy and I've narrowed it down to these two

a 50g10 w/ 3 year warranty at best buy which would cost me ~$1800 USD or a 500m w/ no warranty which would cost ~$2000 USD

I know the 500m is the better tv but is it worth it to get that with no warranty coverage?

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGuyInTheChair /forum/post/16918471

Hey guys. I'm just trying to finalize my decision on which tv I should buy and I've narrowed it down to these two

a 50g10 w/ 3 year warranty at best buy which would cost me ~$1800 USD or a 500m w/ no warranty which would cost ~$2000 USD

I know the 500m is the better tv but is it worth it to get that with no warranty coverage?

Are you a gambler? If you're willing to risk having to shell out $500-$1,000-$1,500 to repair your 500M if it were to develop a problem then you have to decide if the better picture quality is worth the risk. And if your plasma panel module fails, the cost to have it replaced exceeds the price you paid for the monitor in the first place. Do you feel lucky?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Would buying the 500m now, and then in a few months shelling out for a ~$200 after market warranty be an option? I was leaning towards this route, since you end up with a great tv, and then a good warranty without quite a shock factor of that first bill.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm in a similar boat and beginning to think that if I never see the 500M and purchase a G10/V10 then I'll never know what I'm missing and avoid some risk. I'm sure the 500M is immaculate, but going from a 50PX50U Panny to a 54G10/V10 for use with the PS3 will probably be enough to knock my socks off. Randy is right. How lucky do you feel and how many cracked screens are you willing to accept?

·
Registered
885 Posts

Quote:

a 500m w/ no warranty which would cost ~$2000 USD

We're not supposed to discuss prices here, but there is a forum advertiser whose business name starts with "V" currently running a pretty good deal on 500Ms with extended warranty.

·
Registered
6,096 Posts

Quote:

TVs, like most consumer electronics, follow what's called a bath tub curve with regards to reliability. They tend to fail right away and after many many years. Early failures are due to defects while later failures are due to fatigue.

If the TV is defective and you discover the defect within a reasonable time frame, I think 30 days for Best Buy, you can return it and get a new one or a refund. Manufacturers are required to have minimum warranty periods also.

If you get past the defect stage, you will most likely go several years without incident. That's why most extended warranty periods are like 4 years. Defects are covered regardless of the extended warranty and the TV, unless abused, will go 4 years without problems 90+% of the time.

If I liked the 500m much more than the Panasonic, I might take a risk on it. Don't let the previous posters scare you. You could get stuck with the few that fail after 30 days and prior to a couple of years, but the odds are greatly against it. Probably on par with the odds of the warranty not being covered for some reason or another in the event of failure.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn /forum/post/16919142

TVs, like most consumer electronics, follow what's called a bath tub curve with regards to reliability. They tend to fail right away and after many many years. Early failures are due to defects while later failures are due to fatigue.

If the TV is defective and you discover the defect within a reasonable time frame, I think 30 days for Best Buy, you can return it and get a new one or a refund. Manufacturers are required to have minimum warranty periods also.

If you get past the defect stage, you will most likely go several years without incident. That's why most extended warranty periods are like 4 years. Defects are covered regardless of the extended warranty and the TV, unless abused, will go 4 years without problems 90+% of the time.

If I liked the 500m much more than the Panasonic, I might take a risk on it. Don't let the previous posters scare you. You could get stuck with the few that fail after 30 days and prior to a couple of years, but the odds are greatly against it. Probably on par with the odds of the warranty not being covered for some reason or another in the event of failure.

problem is for me to get a 500m in Canada I have to order it from a site and use a forwarding service(another ~$200-250) to get it sent to me. This leaves me no option for returning it and it

where as I live an hour from the border so driving to best buy to pick up a G10 isn't an issue at all.

I'm just really concerned about getting stuck with a dead pixel or something. My last 2 plasmas suffered from a stuck on pixel(Kuro 5080) and diffusion that led to red sparkles all over(sammy pn50a450)

but if it's REALLY worth it I think I'd be willing to take the risk

·
Registered
6,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGuyInTheChair /forum/post/16919244

problem is for me to get a 500m in Canada I have to order it from a site and use a forwarding service(another ~$200-250) to get it sent to me. This leaves me no option for returning it and it

where as I live an hour from the border so driving to best buy to pick up a G10 isn't an issue at all.

I'm just really concerned about getting stuck with a dead pixel or something. My last 2 plasmas suffered from a stuck on pixel(Kuro 5080) and diffusion that led to red sparkles all over(sammy pn50a450)

but if it's REALLY worth it I think I'd be willing to take the risk

I think I misunderstood something. I thought both TVs were available from Best Buy. If you can't easily return the 500m if it has defects, I would opt not to get it.

I studied Pioneers and Panasonics at my local best buy and I didn't notice much difference. The pictures are similar. I know about proper calibration and bright lights in stores, bla bla bla... , but the bottom line is both looked very very good. I ended up buying a G15 and I'm glad I did.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts