Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I recently bought 500U and have it mounted on the ceiling. It projects image to Da-lite HCCV 92" screen from 11'. I calibrated projector using AVIA disc and also done flicker fix. I have very little ambient light coming from the windows at night.

Projector is connected to SAHD3250 from time warner by 30" DVI cable from RAM Electronics.

For some reason(s), the image doesn't look sharp and I can see SD effect when I sit 135" away (this is the furthest I can be). I also tried connecting DVB318 DVD player using component connection but the image didn't improve.

Any idea on what might be wrong with my set-up?

Thanks,

Mark.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have had my 500 since March now and have tried a lot of different picture setups. I am using the 500 with a Directv Hughes HD box and a Denon 2200 DVD player. I have 30' RAM DVI, RAM VGA and S-video Component cables all running to the ceiling mounted projector. My screen is an 80" Bright Carada. So it sounds like our setups are very similar.

What I have found to give me the best picture for 480p component DVD is using the Natural picture mode with Contrast set to +2, Brightness –5, Color –3, Tint –1, Sharpness –5, Color Temp 0 (per calibration with AVIA).

In my effort to get a better picture I have tried the Cinema 1 & 2, with and without a FL-D filter, changing the Gamma tables in the Advance Picture Menu and did not ever end up with a picture I thought was as good as what others seem to be saying that had. I also tried using my computer’s DVI output and using the computer as a HTPC. I was beginning to think I had an unrealistic expectation and was living with the picture quality I was getting.

It was not until this last weekend that I was able to compare my 500 to my brother’s NEC HT1000 that I was motivated to try yet another picture setting setup. We did a A-B comparison on the same screen and found the HT1000’s Natural picture mode provided a very nice picture in terms of color then my 500 did. When I got home, I tried the Natural setting and re-calibrated using AVIA (I also have used VE and THX optimizers on THX DVDs) and came up with the above settings. I could not believe the picture quality I ended up with. Nemo looks glass smooth now and the picture jumps off the screen. The high frequency detail in the distance shots cleared up and I was able to see more detail in DVDs like LOTR. DVD’s are now at least comparable to HDTV with the new settings where as before HDTV blew away any DVD. The combination of the Natural picture mode and the sharpness turned as low as it can go is what I believe gives me the picture quality I’m looking for.

Having good luck with the new DVD setup, I went back to component inputs with the Directv box and used the same Natural settings as the DVD setup. My SD picture quality improved greatly also. Using the VGA or DVI inputs limits the picture setting available to adjust the picture. Using DVI with the Directv box the picture looked grainy. VGA looks better then DVI, but you still loose the color and tint picture controls. HD still looks about the same, maybe better, using Natural and the component cables.

It only two things I might not be completely happy with my 500 now is the black level is not as good as when I was using the FL-D filter and I see VB every now and then. I’m temped to buy a SMART III analyzer so I can use a filter and maybe improve the black level without messing up the color. To fix the VB, I’m temped to buy the 700.

Anywise, I was able to find a picture setup that now gives me the quality I though I should have got with this projector and DVD player. Doing the A-B comparison was an eye opener and recommend to anyone who can do it. I was lucky that my brother has a pretty good understanding of his stuff and had a good picture setup for me to compare too. It was also interesting to see first hand how DLP and LCD compared to each other.

Best of luck on finding you “magic†picture setup.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bucky63,

Thanks a lot for taking time to write detailed reply. I was already thinking that I had defective projector before reading your post. Most of the threads here describe how clear the picture is and how much people love this projector. Based on these readings, I probably had high expectations.

Could you please post your DVI settings. This is the only cable that I run in the wall.

Mark.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Sorry Mark but I don't really have DVI settings. I only have a DVI output on the Hughes DirecTV box so I can't calibrate that input.

I recommend starting with the Natural picture mode and calibrate as much as you can using the AVIA DVD. I bet you will have to adjust the sharpness down and hopefully that will take care of your SD problem.

Are you running 720p out of both the DVD player and the Warner box? Make sure your EDID setting in the Options menu is set to EDID2 for 720p.

I ran a pipe up to the projector so I could pull any cable up to projector. That is way I have all three available.

Let me know how you do.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi,

Was out for a few days and finally got a chance to try your recommendations. For some reason, the image is better with 1080i|EDID1 than with 720p|EDID2. I did calibrated both setups using AVIA. With second setup, sometimes I get white line on top of the screen and the image is more washed out.

I still see screen door effect with both setups...

Mark.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.