AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you get a native rate out of a 503cmx through an HTPC?

If so, if you run a 1080i HD source (ie hd tivo) device through the HTPC will it be read by the display, or still kicked out as non hdcp compliant?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Did you get any response to this question (through PMs or otherwise)? I'm doing searches on this topic and not finding much.

·
Registered
925 Posts
you might want to rephrase your question - it's not 100% clear.

yes, you can feed 1280x768 out of an HTPC into a 503.

if your source has the HDCP encryption bit flipped on then you're toast. if your source does not have the encryption bit flipped on then you're okay. very few sources have that turned on these days.

doody.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
You can run NR into input 1 (VGA) or the DVI input of the PDA5002. Note that the DVI input of the 5002 can't accept video (other than 480p, i.e. it doesn't accept 720p or 1080i), and the DVI input of the Aurora boards doesn't accept NR. (Actually, I don't recall if the Aurora boards accept NR, but if they do, they scale it to 720p or 1080i to send to the panel so you can't get NR via them.)

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
AFAIK, the DVI input doesn't accept 480p. It's only designed for PC signals. If it does accept 480p, it won't be displayed properly. Also, input 2 can be used as RGBHV for NR, in addition to input 1.

·
Registered
739 Posts
MAB,

the pda 5002 is on sale at plasmaextreme for $235. not bad.

·
Registered
222 Posts
The DVI won't accept 480p, but can't I use and HTPC and powerstrip to scale output to the exact rate of the 503?

Wasn't there some problem doing this in that using the PC inputs set the display to a lower quality setting?

Bottom line is I thought there was a way to bypass the onboard scaler in the 503 by feeding it the exact resolution it required. I recall seeing lots of information on this a year or more ago, but I can't seem to locate it using the search function.

Thanks,

Greg

·
Registered
222 Posts
Thanks for the advice, woodgab. I already have bags under my eyes from all the searching and reading I've done the past few nights in the HTPC forum. The problem is not lack of information so much as information overload.

I did find one guy using a htpc to go dot for dot on a 503cmx. He's having issues, however, so not sure I'll get anything definitive there.

I have not lurked as much here lately as when I was putting my theater together, but I know there are several people who were perfecting the whole digital/native rate thing. Hopefully we'll here from them.

Thanks,

Greg

·
Oppo Beta Group
11,840 Posts
Greg099,

There absolutely no problem getting the DVI to go native rate from an HTPC. Radeon cards support 1280x768 with requiring powerstrip.

Remember to go into the setup menu and enable wide-xga mode or it will be squished in the center of the screen.

There are tearing issues with video display at native rate DVI or VGA when refreshing at 60hz that bother some people.

I do believe the DVI does accept 480P, but you have to change the zoom settings to get it to fill the screen.

-- Rich

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.