AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie needing info. I have read lots of reviews on this plasma. Some don't mention 3:2 pull down, some say it doesn't have it, and some say it does have it. I am confused. I don't plan on using an external scaler with this plasma, at least not right away. What is the real deal? Does the required video card have something to do with 3:2 pull down?:confused:

·
Registered
299 Posts
The 503CMX without a PDA-5002 card is a PC display, with the card it gains the ability to handle non-PC video frequencies and a few other features including Purecinema mode

Manual extract ....

-------------------------------------------------------------

The PURECINEMA function automatically determines picture signals taken at 24 frames per second (such as movie films) and changes the picture signal to a progressive one by means of 2-3 pulldown processes.

For the standard PURECINEMA function, select HQ.

Picture processing can produce time differences with sound signals. If this is distracting, select STANDARD.

If OFF (the factory preset) is selected, only the usual progressive conversion will take place.

Set-able condition : 525i (480i), NTSC, 4.43NTSC

Factory preset : OFF

--------------------------------------------------------------

Hope that helps,

Mark

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
cougar75:

Yes, the 503cmx has 3:2 pulldown and you need the 5002 video card. Pioneer calls 3:2 pulldown Pure Cinema. It only works with 480i.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mark and Jim, thanks for the info.

I would be going from a 55" Pioneer RPTV to the 50" Pioneer plasma. In your opinion, will I be satisfied doing this or should I wait on the newer 60" plasmas? Also, how satisfied are you with your 503CMX. I watch only DSS and DVD's.:)

·
Registered
299 Posts
Difficult to compare DSS signal quality between USA and UK, but I am extremely happy with my 503MXE.

Progressive PAL and NTSC from DVD both look excellent and I'm happy to say that digital satellite signals from Sky look fantastic as well.

I feed the satellite via S-Video to my Denon amp which converts it to component for the link to the 503.

The 'wow' factor is still huge at the moment. We have a foriegn exchange student staying with us from Germany at the moment, I'm afraid she thinks that every UK home has a huge TV screen around which the family gather to watch movies every night *laughs*

The cinema feel of the installation is very good, I'm waiting for the final pair of speakers to arrive (Kef Reference 205) so I only have a pair of Linn speakers up front right now but already the cinema feel is there, aided by a Lutron 3-zone lighting system controlling 15 recessed spotlights.

We do not watch in total darkness (too easy to fall asleep) which I think suits the Pioneer particularly well.

Mark

·
Registered
674 Posts
But of course you don't need the card if you're using an HTPC....

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
cougar75:

If you're thinking about a 60" plus plasma, bring lots of money;). This thread is quite interesting if you want to see something on the new Fujitsu 61" http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...readid=141754.

I have a 503CMX and am quite happy with it watching either DVD’s or satellite, both SD and HD. I mostly use it with a Faroudja NRS, which provides more detail, depth of field, and colour saturation, however, the NRS/Pioneer combo has a problem, which Faroudja and Pioneer are looking into. I’ve done a fair amount of watching without the NRS and have concluded the scaler in the 503 is not half-bad. I think many people would be happy with it. Without a scaler, you can also use all the Pioneer’s zoom modes, such as Wide, which is very good for watching 4:3 material on a 16:9 display.

For me, the 503CMX was a good choice. I think the prices have dropped a bit recently, as well, so that’s a bonus. Be aware that, unless you're going to use an HTPC, you’ll need the PDA-5002 video card, which sometimes is quoted as an extra-cost option. Be careful of this when getting price quotes. The card sells for somewhere around $400US.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Furthermore, as I've found out you are best off just getting the card so that you can pass your HD to the component in and connect to DVI from a DVI out in your HTPC. Comes with a VGA in and 5 BNCs before the card.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.