AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was pretty much set on the 503 but now readingall the posts, I'm torn between the Pio and the Panny. This will be used in a HT with the wife just wanting to watch Home and Garden without all the A/V gear turned on. Advise is appreciated!! Questions:

1) Side speakers for regular viewing or not.

2) Aurora 1000 card seems to be the best??

3) Wait for the new Panny and Pio to come out? (Thought to be better, but happy with all the responses on the existing models and their price should come down a bit?)

4) Have price searched 14 different vendors. With the new models coming out, time to do my entire price search again?

Thanks to all you aficionados out there!!

· Registered
157 Posts
More questions for you:

What is your antenna source going to be? Comcast, OTA, or DBS (or some combination)... This answer will go a long way in helping identify the best Video Card for your 503cmx

If you want to avoid turning on your A/V equipment, then you are going to have to get the side speakers or some other speakers that can hook directly to the plasma unit. My preference is to at least turn on the Stereo and let it do the sound... Just one extra button.

Since there is no "set in stone" dates for the new models, it is a judgement call only you can make. I decided not to wait for the newer Pio model and went with the 503cmx, and I very glad I did. Sure something new are better is going to come along, but that is the same as everything. But I am currently enjoying my purchase, vs dreaming of when I will get to enjoy it. And front what I have seen of the newer features of the newer units, there is nothing (IMHO) that is a make or break feature.

Price is only 3/4 of the "total purchase price", you need to take into account the vendor for the purchase. Just because they have the lowest price doesn't meen it is the best deal. I ended up going with plasmaextreme and Lisa. They may not have had the lowest price on the surface, but when all was said and done, I am very very happy with the deal I did get.

And remember, with a purchase like this... Murphy's Law will ALWAYS apply.... Good luck on your purchase.

· Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Comcast Motorola box, going to the HDTV box in 2 weeks. I'll probably get an IR device to turn everything on with one button -- good suggestion.

thanks for your help

· Registered
157 Posts
With going with the Comcast and their motorola box, you are probably going to be better off with the PIO-5002 or the A303 card, vs the other Aurora cards.

Since the T1000, and T1000+ tunners are not HD (at least I am 90% they are not), you will be under-utilizing them. But if you have the need for the PIP and POP of the T1000+......

Just remember, best part of the 503, is that you can swap out the card if you are not happy.

· Registered
534 Posts
Does your wife know my Wife. She would always watch the home and garden TV and use the TV speakers. I am in the same boat you are. From what Ive personally seen and also the feedback from other people on this forum hear are my observations. The 50"pioneer has more of a film look to it more vibrant colors. The Panasonic 50" looks has more of a video look to it. More like my Sony trinitron CRT look to it. I prefer The Panasonic look but thats just me. The lack of blacks levels between the 2 plasma unless you have them side by side in comparison I don't think 90% of people would be able to pick up the difference. As for the speaker issue I will just add small speakers to the RCA audio outs from the TV and hide them to meet my wifes needs. The attached speakers add unit width and cost to the project I will chose to avoid that. I would be proud to own either set.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.