AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I finally made the plunge and got a 5030 HD which is arriving today...

Pretty exciting stuff, have had the room & sound system set up for it since we moved in 3 weeks ago with the big empty space on the wall for the screen.

Will let you know how it works out and any pleasant or unpleasant surprises...

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Abell2218:

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new toy. I got a 503CMX a few months ago and know how you feel.:D

Will be interested to see your experiences when you have time to post. Warning: watching HD on your plasma may become an addiction, so be careful out there;)

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got it up on the wall last night , was less of a hassle than I thought.

very happy with the PQ so far.

Watched Gladiator: was unimpressed at first until I realized I was feeding off the 480i component outputs of my Q50 (duh!), when I hooked up the progressive outputs I was extremely pleased. Great PQ, no problem with blacks. No contouring that I could see at all, and contrast good, as I expected. Had the unit on the floor about 6-7 feet away at first, until I could get a friend to help me lift the unit up onto a wall mount. Very happy even at that distance. It is 10 feet away now, up on the wall.

With the non-progressive output (what I was watching accidentally at first) and at 6 feet away the unit did have a hard time with all the mist in scene 2 of gladiator: some 'blockiness' . No problems at all on progressive however, Just stunningly good.

Watched some of Aliens to stress the black processing a bit more. Looked great on progressive output, didn't get a chance to try 480i. Some of the lighter to mid grey tones had a wierd graininess to then ( sorry guys I am not a technical guru to give more appropriate descriptions). Could that actually be the original film print. Regardless I was specifically looking for any weaknesses, and once I settled into enjoying the movie I didnt notice anything at all.

Watched some cable TV: I had been set to be unimpressed with this (I bought mainly to watch DVD's and add HDTV someday) but found it very watchable. I do have a very clean analog feed. Will try bringing one of my digital cable boxes downstairs to try that out when I have time. Some channels were just OK some were very clean and very sharp. Nothing was horrendously bad. Weird phenomenon: for some reason all the home shopping channels have amazingly good PQ (almost hd looking): I wonder what they do to their feeds that sets them apart??

more after a weekend of experimentation....

·
Registered
47 Posts
Abell2218:

Thanks for sharing your experience. I got mine installed two weeks ago. But I do not have time to play around with the unit.

When you watched DVD do you see the top/bottom bar in grey color? I did and don't know how to change that yet?? I am sure it's very easy to change.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There are at least 3 different modes to handle different wide screen standards, (Full, Cinema, & Wide if I remember right, one is for 16/9 one for 14/9 and another for some other variation) one of them should get you to something you are happy with ( i.e. ex the grey bars). I played a lot with different disks and different settings and the flexibility is pretty useful.

just hit the "mode" button towards the upper left hand side of the remote and page through the different settings with the arrows and see what you like.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tried watching some digital cable this weekend on my new set up this weekend.

Quality varied alot on the digital channels, in particular the digital cable seems to have trouble with contouring. This is apparently due to quality of the source feeds and digitization on the front end, as I can pick this up on my CRT, but it is just much more obvious on the 50" digital screen.

I think the cable companies will have a lot to do on their end to improve the quality of the digitization as monitors get better, otherwise we are better off ( from a picture perspective) just having analog. Of course they can cram in many more channels, but getting worse pictures with better technology is pretty disturbing... I think I will leave the digital box up-stairs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.