Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Gang,

I could not wait any longer, Got the 503CMX ([email protected]). My problem is that using the VGA out of my SatHD100 to the 503 my DSS is shifted right. The entire picture is about 6 inches over? Any Ideas?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Dortiz:

Welcome to the forum.

This is an old and well-documented problem and, unfortunately, there’s no fix. I have the HD-100 and it causes the problem. Apparently, the new HD-200 has fixed it.

Assuming you have the 5002 video card, one option is to connect the STB to input 2 component and use the variable setting. This works really well and automatically switches between 480i and 1080i with one set of cables.

If input 2 is already being used by a DVD player, then you can get a break out cable with 3 RCA connectors and 1 VGA connector. This will allow input 1 to operate as a component input. For input 1, you have to set the panel to component instead of RGB. You will still be able to use the variable setting with it.

If you decide to use input 2, you need 3 RCA/BNC adapters, available at Radio Shack, or a cable with 3 RCA and 3 BNC connectors.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jim,

I was hoping you were reading this morning. I was also afraid of the answer. Fortunately I can get a breakout cable today. That issue aside, are you happy with the SATHD100. I have read a few opinions but have enjoyed it as a regular STB without issues.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Owning an HD200, I can confirm Jim's comments that the problem has been fixed. My HD200 is connected via VGA, and looks fine.

I've never had to do this on the VGA input (but I have used this for other inputs) - if it isn't shifted too far, can't you just go into Integrator mode and adjust the position?

·
Super Moderator
21,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by FujiRich

[B if it isn't shifted too far, can't you just go into Integrator mode and adjust the position? [/b]
no- everything has been tried- the HD100 VGA output is NG for the Pioneer

the only fix I know of is the HD200!

Mark :)

·
Registered
195 Posts
dortiz - Integrator mode on the Pio's are the service menus that allow for addition adjustments. Each time you enter it, the menus and adjustments are specific for whatever input is currently selected.

I seem to remember some proceedure for first enabling the user to get into this mode, but now, when I need to get there I - 1) go to the input I want to adjust 2) turn the 503 off 3) hit the menu button on the remote, and then power on, both within about 2 seconds 4) when the unit powers up, you should see the new menus. Hitting menu again will return the unit to normal operation.

Be careful - some settings in Integrator mode affect display properties in a way that you might not find desirable - don't change anything without remembering what the default was (so you can change it back). Also, anytime you enter this mode, all settings for that input in the standard menu (color, contrast, brightness, etc.) are changed back to the default setting.

Happy tweaking!

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
dortiz:

I like the HD-100 and have never had a problem with it. I don't use it for OTA, though, where I think some of its problems are. As long as the 4 patches are present, it seems to work pretty well. Owners of the HD-200 are reporting better picture quality and it also has some aspect ratio improvements.

As far as shifting or stretching the picture goes, don’t spend time on it. As you’ll see, the black bars are quite large and I doubt that any Integrator Mode adjustments will get rid of it completely. IMO, you’ll be a lot better off with the break out cable. As a plus, you’ll get auto switching, which isn’t possible with VGA 1080i.

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
FujiRich,

One clarification- the "Integrator Mode" is just that, the "Integrator Mode".

There is one additional level which is the "Service Menu". This is where the "Factory Settings" are found. So if you screw up settings in the "Integrator Mode" you can default to the "Factory Settings" from the "Service Menu".

Dave

·
Registered
195 Posts
Dave - Very interesting, I always suspected there's another level to the adjustments.

Okay, the next logical question - how do I access the service mode? I had the manual (at least at one point), and perhaps didn't read deeply enough to learn how to do this. What the secret?

Rich

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
FujiRich:

I'm not sure what cheridave is saying. There is no such thing as a hidden service mode. Every possible panel setting is available in Integrator Mode. There is no reference to any such thing in the 503 technical manual. I can’t imagine what other settings there could possibly be that aren’t available in Integrator Mode.

As for screwing something up, you can reset anything to its default in Integrator Mode.

Maybe I’m missing something, so let’s see what cheridave has to say.

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
Its also known as the RS-232 input, but can also be accessed using the remote. This is what Pioneer uses to test and enter the Factory settings. They can, if I'm not mistaken, hook up as many as 10 or more units for this. I don't have the combination sitting in front of me right now, but will look for it if you want me to. In the mean time you can perform a search using "Service Menu" under "ericbee". I believe that to be correct. This is also where you will find what I call the "Color Decoder" so you can make adjustments if needed- R-Y and B-Y with Green being the baseline.

Dave

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
O.K. You guys are way beyond me but I will catch up. The good news is the breakout cable fixed the problem. I went with Jims advice and used this for HD and then ran S-video for SD. Day one with the new Plasma and I would have panicked without you all.

Thanks

·
Registered
772 Posts
search engine is working again... so it seems that the rca dtc-100 has the same issue as the sony hd100 but can correct it via the raster position menu option provided you have the correct firmware upgrade. whew... thought that might be a show stopper for the 503cmx...

MMAfia

·
Registered
195 Posts
dortiz - glad to hear you're having success. This is a great place for answers, but also a great place to inspire more spending. Can't take it with you, so may as well enjoy it while we're here.

Dave - What you're describing sounds like the controls in the Integrator mode. I'll do the search, but if I remember Ericbee was one of the first to let us know how to enter Integrator mode. I don't recall another level of menus. But, certainly Jim and I would love to know about it....

Rich

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
I searched service mode ericbee and only found this thread. I also read up on RS-232 control and don't see anything it can do which isn't available in Integrator Mode. As I see it, it's a convenience for those who like to control the panel with a computer. As for the colour decoder, you can adjust each of RGB, both high and low values, in either RS-232 or Integrator Mode.

Cheridave: If I’m still not understanding it correctly, please set me straight. I looked for R-Y and B-Y but didn’t see anything like it. Do you know the significance of these settings if they can be found?

TIA

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
Okay guys, I think this will help a little. Do understand that it has been almost a year since I played with the PIO-503CMX this extensively.

RS-232 via Remote Control

Dave

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
cheridave:

Ah, I see said the blind man.:D I've just calibrated with RGB, but can see how this will be very useful for video.

Thanks for the great link.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Dave - thanks so much for finding the old thread. As I read through it, I vaguely remembered reading it months ago.

As I looked through the service manual, I did find reference to the RS-232 service mode (pg. 160). Without going through a detailed check list of each individual control, it seems like this mode of adjust is simply the alternative to the remote-based Integrator mode. The RS-232 approach doesn't seem to offer anything significant that isn't already in the Integrator mode. But if you were setting these up in multiple units, perhaps for some professional display application, the PC RS-232 approach might offer greater efficiency.

Rich

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.