AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a movie night last night and showed the extended version of the Lord of the Rings. Every minute or two, there'd be a brief hiccup. I'm REALLY hoping it's just because I had Orbiter turned on and not something to do with my HTPC.

Basic setup - Panasonic DVD RV-30 feeding SDI to SDI Silk 100 card in HTPC. Using DScaler for playback and out via DVI to plasma monitor.

The thing that concerns me is that I don't believe that I've seen this before, but now just can't be sure.

·
Registered
996 Posts
I use the oribeter and use my 503cmx for game play mostly. But also watch occasional movie using HTPC and DVI. Have not noticed any tearing but I will try it with and without oribeter and see if there is any difference.

I question how helpful the orbiter really is. Static pictures are not 1 pixel wide. So moving a pixel here and there is really not going to help with ghosting and burning very much, IMHO.

-Jym-

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Yes, there are posts about the orbiter causing tearing. It only happens in some contexts -- I forget the details but I think it was when you are using an external scalar and you're watching the picture long enough so that the orbiting pixels spill over on one side and the orbiter has to jump to the other side -- but you can do a search and find the posts for additional details. I thought, however, that the tearing happened less frequently than every few minutes (I thought the frequency was tied to whatever the period is for the orbiter to cycle all the way from one side to the other). If you find out more about this, please post for the rest of us.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unrelated to the topic, but I showed Monsters, Inc. before the main feature and it was simply AMAZING. The detail on the fur was just unbelievable.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Llogan:

You really haven’t described the problem. What do you mean by a hiccup? According to the tech manual, orbiter operates roughly every 8 minutes and does a vertical and horizontal 1 pixel shift within a 3 pixel range.

If the problem is tearing, I’m wondering about refresh rate settings. You should have the HTPC set to 70hz. If it’s something lower, like 60hz, you will get tearing. This is the problem I have with the Faroudja NRS. I checked into DVI with Faroudja, because they’re supposedly working on a new NRS with DVI. They believe the DVI input will suffer from the same problem as the current NRS.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Seems like a complicated way to play a DVD. The best of 4 worlds (SDI, Silk, Dscaler, DVI) might = a giant headache.

There has been talk of tearing due to HTPC refresh rate mismatch (60 hz vs Pio looking for 71.xx on DVI) but I have the orbiter on and great output with Geforce at 60hz using PowerDVD

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
FWIW, I did get tearing (or some kind of PQ instability) when feeding my 503cmx via dvi from my Leeza, but when I changed the refresh rate from 60 hz to 72 hz all problems disappeared.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Unfortunately, I'm having a hard time thinking of an easy way to explain what was happening. The video would seem to do a single stutter from time to time. In some of the cases, it seemed like a portion of the screen would tear down for a millisecond.

Based on reading the other thread, I think that the orbiter function is my problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.