AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hooked up my 2002 Macintosh PowerBook G4/DVI to the DVI input of the Pioneer 503-CMX using a DVI-D to DVI-D cable.

The picture has a total pink cast; no white is obtainable.

It looks like Input 2 did when hooked up to my progressive scan DVD player until I set the menu to Component rather than RGB.

There doesn't appear to be a menu setting for Input 5 (DVI) to override this.

Help!

·
Super Moderator
21,501 Posts
Andrew

you won't find a lot of menu selection for input 5 because it is for DVI

could you hit display for the plasma and post what it gives you?

also length of DVI cable?

Mark

·
Registered
355 Posts
This may work...Have everything hooked up(DVI to DVI etc.). Turn on the plasma. Then boot up the Mac. In the control strip see if video mirroring is on. I've had this problem on regular large screen monitors, so this may work. The Mac needs to "see" the monitor connection at startup. Hope this might help.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The rebooting didn't help.

I am working under Mac OS X 10.2.2 and it allows you to connect video devices on the fly, but in any case this didn't change anything.

I have turned off and on video mirroring, changed the resolution, changed the refresh rate, changed the color depth - no effect on the problem.

The cable is 3 meters. It is a DVI-D to DVI-D dual link.

I emailed ATI (the video card in the Mac is the Radeon Mobility DVI) but they just emailed me back with the Macintosh FAQ - completely useless.

The card in the Plasma is the 5002, by the way.

Someone told me that I needed some sort of adapter coming out of the Mac, but my understanding is that it is just a garden-variety DVI-D port. Is that wrong? Is it DVI-I?

The Pioneer's port is DVI-D according to the 5002 technical manual.

Anyway, I am at a bit of a loss as to how to proceed.

·
Super Moderator
21,501 Posts
-please tell me what Pioneer display reads- when booting be sure Pioneer is on first

-according to G4 specs , it comes with a DVI to VGA adapter- try feeding the PowerBook via the adapter to Pioneer VGA input

-I recall the DVI output on a Mac has power on unused pins for the Apple Cinema Display- so a standard DVI display may not work (not sure of this)

-How do you like the PowerBook?

Mark

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not home now so I can't give you the data on the Pioneer display readings. Will do so later, but I didn't want to ignore your prompt reply.

I already know that the DVI to VGA adapter produces normal output via the VGA input. I already did that.

I like the PowerBook very much. I own 32 Macs between my home and various offices, and this is one of my two favorites (the 17" Flat panel iMac is my favorite).

Anyway, it's fast, the display is beautiful, it is reliable,, light, etc.

The only bad aspect of it (other than the current problem) is the poor AirPort performance. The Titanium casing causes the machine to act as a Gaussian enclosure, and AirPort performance suffers. The workaround is to use multiple base stations (more viable now with prices coming down on third-party solutions) or to use an external PCMCIA 802.11b card. The latter works well, and there is an OpenSource driver for most of these cards that works with Mac OS 10.2.x

Anyway, back to the problem at hand.... do you know if both connectors are DVI-D?

·
Super Moderator
21,501 Posts
I think there is a single available DVI connector on a Mobility 9000- I would guess it is DVD-A since there is an adapter- it is single link on the Pioneer- I do not think that is your problem

interesting the supported resolutions for this G4 does not include 1280x768

http://a96.g.akamai.net/7/96/51/f972...DS11062002.pdf

Mark

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
?DVD-A? I am not sure what that means.

Looking online, it looks like the connector on the PowerBook is DVI-I. Maybe that is the problem. Is there an adapter or cable that goes from DVI-I to DVI-D?

·
Super Moderator
21,501 Posts
as I understand it

DVI-A carries the analog signal as well- via the VGA adapter

DVI-D just has the digital signal which is all you need for the 503/5002

no adapter from one to the other is necessary it is just that extra pins are in use in the A setup

Mark

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You are probably right - although I believe the nomenclature is DVI-I, not DVI-A (-I stands for integrated).

I spoke with the company that sold me the cable, and they believe it is probably just a defective cable. They are sending me another one. I will post the results, if anyone is interested - or if I have another plea for help.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Just to rule out gamma table issues in the powerbook, you might go to versiontracker.com, search for a program called supercal (a display calibrator) and see if any adjustments can fix the issue or it it just way off...

robert

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.