AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search and couldn't really find anything definitive on this problem.

Just wondering how many other people are having these shuttering problems with their 5040s, and if anyone has figured a fix.

When I first purchased my 5040, it only shuttered about once every couple hours, and it wasn't a problem at all. The first time I really noteiced it occuring a lot, was when I was having a show sent to me over the Internet, and trying to watch a show at the same time.

Now it seems to be happening even more often. I'll only be watching a live show, and doing nothing else, and it will shutter during some "difficult" scenes. Changing the channel possibly fixes it temporarily, but after 15 minutes of so I'll get a shutter now and then

This is definitely not a constant thing, but it does happen often enough that it is VERY annoying.

I also own a Showstopper and haven't had a single shutter problem with it.

So is this common out there with 5040 users? Is there a fix? Could it be a hardware problem with my Replay? Thanks.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Likewise, I have a 5040 and I have the same problems you do.

Any insight anyone?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi sbdave,

I have seen this on my 5040, but mostly with my antenna input (which is pretty noisy). My satellite input doesn't show many shutters or skips. I suspect that this is a software/firmware issue because I remember this early on my 4000 series unit and after a few software updates I never saw it again. Hope that helps a bit.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sbdave
....I'll only be watching a live show, and doing nothing else, and it will shutter during some "difficult" scenes. Changing the channel possibly fixes it temporarily, but after 15 minutes of so I'll get a shutter now and then...
That sounds like what I call the "buffer crash" condition? Try freeing up some space. When I push pause during live TV (after it starts jerking around like that) it says it has only minutes pause time remaining when it should have hours. Changing the channel before it locks hard puts if back to normal. Seems it thinks it's out of space?

The same symptoms could also signal a drive error but this feels more like the software to me and I've never had a hiccup during an actual recording. I've only seen that happen when I leave it on (and unattended) buffering. Either it gets stuck in some pseudo pause or the buffer file is losing disk space, or both... who knows? The only way to rule out drive error is to try a different drive however I don't want to open it since I may return it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.