Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Anyone using these two together in same system? I just got the Sony SATHD200, more or less for the DVI output. Can I use the HD200 with the replaytv unit without switching from DVI to Video 1/2? It looks to me like if I want to have both connected to tv I have to use component for the STB to TV connection and composite from STB to replay....Is this correct? Am I doing something wrong? Thanks.

LL

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
video 1/2 is the only mode that will output to the composite or s-video. The other modes variable or 1080i will only output via the DVI/coponent jacks.

What most people do in this situation is to leave the HDTV decoder in the 480i mode (video 1/2 for you) and only when they want DTV or HDTV do they switch to variable or 1080i output.

It's a pain, some of the cable decoders do the downsampling while outputting to the component outputs. Too bad not many of the directv recievers do this, they have a one output (std/hdtv)at a time policy.

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
No, but there is rumors that some Samsung models may. I know nothing about the samsung receivers. You can search here, I believe that's where I saw it. Another nice feature of the Samsung is the feature to map digital channels to the standard channel.

Your replay could tune the box to the digital channels without the sub cannel. That's kewl!

·
Registered
16 Posts
First a question, then an answer:

Question: Can your ReplayTV control your Sony SAT-HD200? If so, did you need to use the IR Blaster. Which code did you use? I haven't seen any compatibility feedback on using that Sony model with a Replay.

Answer: The Samsung SIR-TS160 is the only CURRENT HD DirecTV receiver that simultaneously feeds the S-Video (480i) and the DVI/Component (1080i/720p/480p) outputs.

I tried out an open-box TS160 from Best Buy and had no problem recording on my ReplayTV 5040 while watching a DVI signal on my Plasma screen. The first listed IR Blaster code worked OK (with a slight delay).

Surprisingly, the Replay recorded 16:9 HD broadcasts no problem, and the playback looked great using the Replay's Component/Progressive Scan out. (Damned if I know why S-Video in -> Component out looked so good).

Unfortunately, the Samsung interface is clumsy, a bit flaky and is difficult to control with other remotes. I couldn't get the Samsung programmable remote to control my Panasonic gear, and neither the Panasonic or Replay ('Showstopper' version) programmable remotes would control the Samsung. The OTA (Over The Air) tuner on the Samsung is also not near as good as the Sony.

Result: I returned the Samsung SIR-TS160 and I've preordered the new Sony SAT-HD300. This Sony will also have simultaneous S-Video and DVI/Component output (a 'must-have' for ReplayTV use), plus a lot of HD200 bugs have been fixed (like custom channels disappearing with a power outage). It looks like availability for the HD300 is 1st or 2nd week of October, but well worth the wait. Price: I ordered it at a SF Bay Area retailer for $649.99 with a 30-day return policy.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I have the Zenith SAT520, and I keep my DTC-100 activated so my Replay can control it for recording. That way I don't get annoyed when I'm watching something, and Replay changes the channel. And I can record things in 16X9 anamorphic.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.