Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

All of a sudden, it seems like my 5040's uhf tuner is going bad. On all my KCET recordings (channel 28 in Los Angeles) the picture is really bad, as if the signal going into the replay is no good. I have an antenna that is split before it gets to the replay but the other UHF signal going directly to the tv is fine.

My VHF recordings are all okay. Is it possible that the UHF tuner is bad but the VHF tuner is still okay?

Thanks,

eric

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I didn't know there was such a thing as a VHF tuner AND UHF tuner in a Replay. At least not as seperate items. Perhaps inside the Replay's tuner, there are two different circuits, but from what I know, it's one item.

Anyhow (the obvious question is) have you tried swapping cables and/or checking to make sure the cable going into the Replay is tight?

Also, do you use any kind of signal booster or thought about using one? The Replay tuner is quite poor and needs a good strong signal in order to work.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ace,

Thanks for the reply, come to think of it, I haven't tried the cable straight from the antenna before the split. Will try that one when I come home. I did however take a look at the cable connection on the replay and everything seemed tight.

It also seemed fishy to me that the network channels continue to tune in strong and but the UHF channels seemed weak. Everything was fine for the past couple of years. That's why I questioned the tuner.

No signal booster either, may have to consider getting one.

Anyways, will take a closer look at my cable situation.

Thanks again,

eric

·
Registered
265 Posts
You might check the antenna itself, as well. Most VHF/UHF antennae have multiple elements; the VHF elements are wired together, the UHF elements are wired together, and then there's some kind of combiner that hooks them to one downlead. It's possible something's up with the UHF elements... like, they're loose somehow. Also, UHF is more subject to attenuation than VHF with any lead-in; you might check to see if the connection at the antenna is loose. Finally, perhaps the antenna has become mis-aimed? (I'm assuming you've got a fixed-mount rooftop antenna, not some set-top antenna).

As has been noted, the Replay tuner is poor; a signal that gives a good picture on your TV might not on Replay.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.