AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
5040 are having a rash of major problems one of the biggest being the hardware doing constant reboots. I have been monitoring this on the planet replay forums and seems to be very common. Well today I came home from work and now my 5000 is doing the same thing. Of course customer support can't be contacted. BB will take the unit back but I mabye out $250 for the service.

Be carefull with any of the 5000 series seems they are very trouble prone devices

·
Registered
286 Posts
Sorry to hear the bad news. I hope mine doesn't go ape sh!t. At least not more than it already is.

If it is under warrenty I doubt you will be out the service $.

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
I searched on planetreplay for "reboot" and only noticed 3 or 4

people who keep posting about their units rebooting. I don't

think this is a widespread problem (at least not yet) just based

on the number of people complaining. For widespread problems

the posting volume goes way up. For example the activation

server problem a month or so back and the modem "net connect"

problem for ShowStoppers a while back.

I have my usual set of 5040 annoyances, but as time goes on

I'm learning to avoid the problems and my experience is improving.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I agree, my 2x5040's (touch wood) are good. I've got used to the annoyances and have had no reboots (that I know of). I have had no missing records dues to channel not turning over (thanks to black tape).

I just wish I could feel better if SB ReplayTV division would say hello to a few of those people with real problems forcing them to return units - that is not good for the rest of us or SB !!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Added a new 5040 to my Replay suite about 2 weeks ago... No reboot problems here either. No loud fan... just a great piece of hardware... good luck...

·
Registered
88 Posts
My first replay 5xxx series unit (upgraded the day it came out) had an IDE cable that was partly in and partly out. YMMV I guess. Get another one, you probably just got a bad egg.

·
Registered
283 Posts

Aside from minor annoynces, my 2 5040's have been mostly acceptable. BUT, this AM I sit down to watch the 3 hour HQ hockey game recorded last night, and it has the "missing" first segment. 30 minutes sitting with no video, and no abount of trying to skip over the "bad" mpeg data works. With the cable running into the 5040, there's no way to even catch the news with no way to bypass the 5040 (power button blanks screen, but leaves blue light of death on.) #$%^&*@!

Sad part is, I even turned the unit on last night just to make sure it was recording the game, and not some other crap, and caught the game at the first intermission. Guess I should have hit play, and not play from beginning today :(

The 5xxx series, while maybe okay at first, in my experience so far, degrade quickly. I can stand losing parts of mindless sitcoms, after all, it's only TV. But Hockey? No way I will stand for that! My VCR's NEVER lost a recording.

BTW, ping times are thru the roof right now. 50% to at times, 100% lost, and when it does respond, it's 100, 400, 600, 1300ms (rounded) Lovely.

·
Registered
116 Posts
joef-

I had this same problem with the start of shows getting corrupted. All was well for some time, and then all of the sudden, shows started dropping the first 15 minutes (or 30 if it was over 60 minutes). I found that my unit was at its capacity - after I dumped some unwatched junk from the drive, all has been well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well after a very long time on hold I got a SonicBlue customer rep. I must say they don't listen at all. I describe in detail the problem and what steps I took, he said he understood and then proceeded to follow the script. I understand product support it's the field I work in but they should at least listen before asking for warm boots and unplugging the unit.

End result. Must be defective hardware and with some questioning on my part seems this has been happening more frequently, maybe due to the last update? Anyway I have to return the unit and they said since it's less the 30 days my credit card will be credited for the $250 subscription, I hope. Not sure what to do next, wait for the 5000 to settle down, look for a 4000 or head over to the tivo side.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Mine is not at capacity, and this was a 3 HR HQ recording out of a 9 HR guaranteed slot, so the space was there for it :(

I finally power cycled it, and replayed the game from the point where I had checked it last night, about 45 minutes into it, and back skipped into the end of the bad spot.

Can't wait to drop the 120GB Maxtor into it. With all its quirks right now, it has to get better once the S/W bugs are resolved. Although, you'd think with the history or the pre 5xxx units, these problems should not be happening. Can only hope it's not under powered CPU wise...

Quote:
Originally posted by seekins
joef-

I had this same problem with the start of shows getting corrupted. All was well for some time, and then all of the sudden, shows started dropping the first 15 minutes (or 30 if it was over 60 minutes). I found that my unit was at its capacity - after I dumped some unwatched junk from the drive, all has been well.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I had a show drop the first 9 minutes also. It just stopped responding for a while and then the show started playing and the time was about 9 minutes into the recording.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by joef_rgb
Mine is not at capacity, and this was a 3 HR HQ recording out of a 9 HR guaranteed slot, so the space was there for it :(
Are you still seeing quirks with version 530451210?

What I noticed back on v930 when it got into the "buffer crash condition", pause time showed 0 minutes remaining when it should've been around 7 hours... it hadn't been paused and no recordings were set up reserving space. First time I saw that happen, I thought it was actually full. It was behaving like it was out of space... apparently it thought it was.

Hasn't happened using v1210, hopefully that bug's fixed. Seemed it wasn't consistently managing the buffer, since a channel change would apparently resolve it. So far so good, with the new software build. But only time will tell.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I checked this AM, and forced a net connect, but no joy: I'm still at 530450930 :( Perhaps they've stopped pushing it?? Will have to check other 5040 when I get home.

·
Registered
59 Posts
One thing I noticed when I had my 5040 was a scheduled record started when I had live tv paused, it did not clear the buffer. It stopped buffering the live channel but I was able to view everything in the buffer up to the channel change. In short: a channel change does not always clear the live buffer.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
You had it paused, if you had been watching it live it would have cleared and, I suspect, if you were running low on space and the buffer had borrowed space from the pending recording it would have either cleared or crashed the Replay.

BTW, I had paused a guaranteed keep 1 episode recording while watching it, and when the next instance came up it recorded the new episode without erasing the old, in effect keeping 2 episodes. I remember at the time posting this and commending the development team for a job well done.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by joef_rgb
I checked this AM, and forced a net connect, but no joy: I'm still at 530450930 :( Perhaps they've stopped pushing it?? Will have to check other 5040 when I get home.
In the past it's been noted it can weeks to roll out a new version.

May not be widespread yet? I got v1210 on a manual connect last night.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.