AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a recent Replay TV purchaser and even more recent member of this forum, I apologize in advance if this question has already been answered but I did not find it while searching.

I am using cable in and cable out to my TV and signal on the TV is fine. My problem is that about half the time the ReplayTV will start in black and white. Usually by forcing a reset (holding the power button for 10 seconds) it will restart in color but I am at a loss to figure out why it is doing this. My assumption is that because the TV color is fine, it is most likely not a coaxial cable issue but I am not sure of that either.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Not a stupid question at all. I don't know the answer except to take a guess:

The coaxial in use may be defective. If you have another give it a shot.

Next I'd try a factory reset. This will wipe all recordings away and you'll have to run setup again. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=194108

Might be the unit is defective.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jalanmac
I am using cable in and cable out to my TV and signal on the TV is fine. My problem is that about half the time the ReplayTV will start in black and white. ... Any advice?
To narrow down the problem, you may want to try some of these things the next time it goes to black and white:
  1. Unplug the coax from the TV, and plug it into a different TV and see if it's still black and white
  2. Use the composite output instead of the coax output
  3. Use the S-Video output instead of the coax output[/list=1] It wouldn't be the coax cable, unless you have some kind of defective inline filter on it, because the color information is not sent separately (unlike in an S-Video cable).

My first guess would be a defective ReplayTV, which you may be able to work around by using a different output, but make sure it's not the TV first. Incidentally, when you use the coax output instead of one of the video outputs plus the audio outputs, you not only lose resolution but also also lose stereo sound, so it's not much of a loss if the coax output doesn't work but the other outputs do.

Jim

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had the same problem with the first 5040 that I purchased last month. I spoke to Replay Customer Service, and they told me that they have seen this problem before, and it is a defect in the unit. I replaced the unit with a new one, and it works fine with all of the same equipment and connections.

·
Registered
125 Posts
You sure you aren't trying to record I Love Lucy or the Honeymooners? I've noticed the same problem with those shows for years. :)

Sorry, couldn't resist. I'm here all week! Please, tip your waitresses!

-Brian

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
IIRC there were some a thread where someone tracked it down to a bad (heat sensitive) crystal in the NTSC color generator circuit.

Some TVs were more sensitive than others... some would get color some wouldn't.

Since the 5k series has a fan, it's probably not heat, just a flaky crystal and a sensitive TV.

(note... I'm not an expert, and the above is here-say, but it makes sense)

Robert

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for all your help - particularly Minnesota Jim as I wasn't that familiar with the quality increases I found when I switched to Composite output. I am now confident that I don't have to take my 5040 back and find out how difficult it is to switch lifetime subscriptions from one unit to another but I am still curious as to why this is occurring. Here is what I have discovered:

- I added composite output and that is always fine and in full color.

- I swapped out all the coax cable with new stuff and found the same problem.

- While turning the replaytv on and off to see whether the issue was still around or not, I also changed the channel on my TV. What I found was that when I turned on my replaytv and it was in black and white through coax, if I changed channel up or down on the TV and then back all would be perfect.

As I long ago exhausted my technical limits when it comes to this topic, Reden's post appears to me to make the most sense but wanted to ask if this additional information solidifies Reden's response or highlights an issue with my TV (a 6 month old Hitachi Ultravision HDTV ready TV).

Thanks again for all your help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.