AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a replay 5040 and have a problem when watching live TV, the sound and video will stick and play a 1 second clip over and over again. My only resolution is to reboot the computer by unplugging the power.

My second problem is similiar. I have to reboot the Replay 5040 every 2 days because the video is frozen. The replay Hard Drive seems to always be on and there is no waiting period while the hare drive spins back up like my Replay 3060. I have seen other people on this subject and are having the same problem.

Any suggestions? Hopefully this is a software upgrade problem and not a hardware problem.

When is the next software upgrade to the OS? And what is the current one with the 5040?

·
Registered
742 Posts
I'm glad you posted. I was being accused of being a kill-joy for posting these exact same things that I found. This is a problem with both of my 5040's, either as the disk becomes full (with live stream) which occurs if you either don't change channels or don't switch off. I've never had to pull the plug. Changing channels or pressing on then off always fixes this problem.

I have confirmed it's not heat related.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jab123
...The replay Hard Drive seems to always be on and there is no waiting period while the hare drive spins back up like my Replay 3060....
That's because the 5xxx defaults to "disk spindown" not enabled. In fact I'm not sure if disk spindown can be enabled on the new units.
Quote:
Originally posted by jab123
...when watching live TV, the sound and video will stick and play a 1 second clip over and over again. My only resolution is to reboot the computer by unplugging the power.

My second problem is similiar. I have to reboot the Replay 5040 every 2 days because the video is frozen...

...Hopefully this is a software upgrade problem and not a hardware problem.

When is the next software upgrade to the OS? And what is the current one with the 5040?
Last time I looked (the other day) my 5xxx was on OS version 4.5 build 930. We don't get official notice when it upgrades.

As for the buffer problem, I'd imagine it's a software bug. Although if the video is frozen "hard" (requiring unplugging the Replay) every day, that sounds excessive. I've only noticed video glitches perhaps once a week or so. Since it seems to be related to how long since the last channel change (and others can avoid it by switching off?) that suggests to me it might be related to live buffer size. Although if you are seeing lock-ups every day, it could be some crash during the "connection", or a disk error/upgrade problem?

Does it still lock-up that frequently when using the original drive? Have you tried a "Restore Factory Defaults" reset?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I just bought my 5040 yesterday and I had this problem last night - I thought it was (hopefully) just a one time thing but now I'm a little worried :(.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by EvanH
...now I'm a little worried :(.
I dunno... what's to worry about?

"Remember, it's just television..."

Well I suppose I should live in fear every time I boot up M$? ;)

But seriously, you can try it out for 30 days and if you don't like it return it. If it's just that you don't feel you're bleeding edge beta material, return it and try again later after the product matures?

·
Registered
538 Posts
I had the exact opposite problem.. I noticed my 5040 was a bit choppy at times *until* I filled the unit with programs and live buffer.

The only time I get it to lock up and repeat a clip of video and audio is if I do 411 zones. I'd say, 25% of the time it would freeze the background AV and repeat it until I exited it. However, 5% of the time requires me to power cycle the unit. Again, only if I do a 411 or other hidden overlay menu.

To me, it sounds like a bad recording that the decoder is getting stuck on.. or, a bad section of the HD. Again, right out of the box I did notice initial stutters at times until the software was updated and I started to use the unit.... it seemed to get better with age. =)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by KenL
I dunno... what's to worry about?

"Remember, it's just television..."

Well I suppose I should live in fear every time I boot up M$? ;)

But seriously, you can try it out for 30 days and if you don't like it return it. If it's just that you don't feel you're bleeding edge beta material, return it and try again later after the product matures?
True, it's only television but it's so much cooler than regular television ;). I've had a showstopper for a while and I sold it in order to upgrade to the 5040 - I just don't want to have to go back to watching live TV :D.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.