Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Just finished hooking up and doing battle with a new ReplayTV 5040.

I tried using both the coax connection to my TV, as well as the RCA connections.

I haven't yet completed the service activation as i have 4 days to try it.

For whatever reason when i select a show from the channel guide, i get a blue screen that tells me "No Video Source" check the following...

I am able to view regular programming if i change the channels on my cable box.

My hook up is as follows: Standard AT&T broadband analog cable box feeds into 5040, and then out of the 5040 and directly into TV.

I hooked up the IR blaster, and stuck it to the cable box. Programmed remote for the Jerrold box, and was able to turn cable box on.

The channel changing works like hell. Aside from the known delays when executing a command, the cable box will change the channel but then go back to its previous channel.

There is some mention of certain cable boxes that can "become confused"

and they recommend putting some opaque covering around the area where the IR emitter is placed. What the f*&@!, who wrote this dam manual?

Im sure im missing something here, and any help would sure be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Try installing the cable directly from the wall into the Replay. Also, try another known good source, like a DVD player or VCR.

I don't believe you need the cable box if you are just using analog cable. The Replay has a built in tuner for that. You will need a cable box for digital cable.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Ace,

That worked, but i need to use my cable box to decode the premium channels.

I suppose i could pipe the box into my surround reciever and change to Aux 1 or 2 on the TV when i want to view the premium channels.

Uggg why did i think this was going to be a smooth ride:)

Theres an option in the setup menu for using a cable box, and the cabling setup shows how to connect one.

Is this a known flaw with the 5000's and some cable boxes?

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
"No Video Source" means just that: it's not getting a proper video signal in. If you're using the cable box as the tuner, are you then using RCA cables from the cable box to the Replay? Or S-Video? Go back through the setup and make sure you've got it set to the right input. Plug the RCA cable from the cable box directly into the TV to make sure you've got signal coming out.

The channel changing is a whole other issue. I'm sure there are other users with your same cable box who can tell you the best settings to use. The opaque covering (aka "IR Fort") is often used with IR blasters to make them more reliable. If channel changing is unreliable, it may be a big help.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
J,

Thanks for the help. I had the RCA cables hooked up from the 5040 outputs to the TV, along with and without the coax cable.

I tried several different options in the setup, but still got the "No Video Source" error.

I just tried using an S-Video cable direct from the 5040 to the TV. Although i get a slightly better picture, im still unable to run things through the Jerrold box that i have. Its a model DPV7234. This exact box is not shown under the Jerrold boxes listed, although the closest one i tried is listed as DPV7.

I noticed in the setup that there are no options for selecting RCA, S-Video in the Video Output menu. The S-Video does work as i said, but just not through the cable box.

I just read the manual cover to cover, and there was a small note that Output 1 and 2 and the S-Video are always active.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well here it is 2 in the morning, and i had a mild brainstorm. Got rid of the push on coax cable that came with the 5040, and used a threaded section i had. I also disconnected the coax output from the 5040.

And voila! Now it works through the cable box, and my channel issues using the remote are gone???

One small glitch, is that when i change channels or select a channel from the guide, i get the blue screen with the same error message for a second, and then the channel comes on. I had read elsewhere that someone else had experienced this same thing.

Someone from the Planet Replay forum suggested a cable signal amp might help. Has anyone had a similar issue with the blue screen and resolved it with the amp?

Something strange there, but its working, and im a happier camper now.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by LOTL
One small glitch, is that when i change channels or select a channel from the guide, i get the blue screen with the same error message for a second, and then the channel comes on.
You can fine tune the remote control codes. From the old ReplayTV FAQ : "Response delay....Puts up a black screen while doing the channel change so you don't see the blue "no video signal" screen. It is completely safe to monkey with this value, decreasing it to see more of your show or increasing it so you don't see the channel banner generated by your satellite receiver or digital cable box."

-Gary

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.