AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a 5040 and want to get to the shows on a 4000 Series box. I cannot see the actual recorded shows on the 4000 Series box. However, the 4000 Series box does come up when I flip through the "ReplayTV Names" at the top of the ReplayTV Guide page. So, it seems like the machines are communicating, but when the 5040 goes to get the Shows in the 4000 Series box, it cannot see them (or something like that).

I read over on ReplayTVFAQ.com ( http://replayfaq.leavensfamily.com/D...ion=RUZCVFVLMC ) that this may be a limitation of the 4000 Series boxes, but I thought I'd double check on AVS because it seemed to me there would be more folks complaining about this scenario not working. Just wondering if anyone else is seeing this problem and if there is any truth to the Q1/2003 software update mentioned on the FAQ?

Thanks!

·
Registered
419 Posts
I'd be willing to bet that the update that began rolling out yesterday will take care of this. Can anyone else with this configuration that has the 121 update verify?

also, reset the IP settings on the 5040 (re enter same settings) to verify it's not the DHCP issue listed here in other threads.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by genearch
I'd be willing to bet that the update that began rolling out yesterday will take care of this.
It'll take an update for the 4000/4500 series boxes and the current update is just for 5000 series boxes.

-Gary

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I heard it was a problem w/ the 4000 series boxes, not the 5000. I'm really surprised more folks on this forum are not up in arms over this. RTV advertises that the 5000 can see shows on other RTV boxes fairly plainly in their feature list, and this seems like a really big feature to have left out! This means you have to buy multiple 5000 series boxes to get in-home sharing.

What a disappointment!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also, I want to just confirm this -- has anyone else seen this behavior? Is this a known limitation or is there a chance I am not hooking things up properly on my home network? Just making sure.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Paul.. it says quite plainly in their literature, on the box, an in the store brochures that it doesn't work with 4Ks yet.

Ghoul

·
Registered
43 Posts
I did speak to tech support a while back about this and they mentioned that SonicBlue is planning on doing something about this. The tech support rep also mentioned that it was an issue with the 4000 series.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Actually it's not quite that "clear" in their literature that the 5000 series cannot play back 4000 series content. I found it in an obscure area in their FAQ, not in the book that comes with the unit, and certainly not plainly in their product feature list. I'm not sure where you're getting that info.

I did finally get through to a tech support person and he confirmed that the problem is as I understand it for my scenario. However, he also mentioned that there is actually a broader problem of their product lines not being "compatible" with one another. Apparently there are incompatibilities between the 4000 and 4500 series also, with respect to seeing each other's content. He said the SB folks are "working on fixing this" so that all their units will interoperate.

I think it's really lame on SB's part to introduce a product line with such glaring incompatibilities. They should have held the products back until all the advertised features work. Waiting for an upgrade (especially with a vague ship date such as "Q1/2003") to deliver a feature that is so central to the product concept is quite gauche, IMHO.

I'm on the fence about whether to return my unit.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
When 4500's came out, they were running a newer rev of s/w and so could not talk to 4000's until a common software release came out. Currently 4000's and 4500's run the same software and are compatible (however, this common release is less stable in general than the previous release).

There will be a similar release for 4xxx's and 5000's to get them on a common base again (and hopefully correct some of the glaring current bugs in the process).

I don't fault SB for getting these new machines to market. Most buyers start with one PVR and don't see this problem. They soon find that their TV watching lives are forever changed. Some time later they tend to add more units.

The initial release information that I recall reading on SB's website and articles mentioned Q1, 3003 as the time that they would release software to make 4000's and 5000's compatible. I had opted to get an additional 4500 over a 5000, to avoid the wait on the S/W.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ed Rempalski
...I recall reading on SB's website and articles mentioned Q1, 3003 as the time that they would release software to make 4000's and 5000's compatible
Hope we won't be waiting that long?

(surely in a thousand years the technology may change? ;)

From the main web site:

The ReplayTV 5320, software support for wireless USB (802.11 b) Network Devices and software support for video sharing and streaming between ReplayTV 5000 and ReplayTV 4000/4500 are estimated to be available Q1 2003

Any who simply can't wait a month or two, return the 5040 and get a 4504? :)

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by genearch
I'd be willing to bet that the update that began rolling out yesterday will take care of this. Can anyone else with this configuration that has the 121 update verify?

Ok I'll bet. 8¢? ;)

My 5xxx has v1210 (the update that really wasn't) and alas it won't stream with my 4xxx. As many have stated it won't work until the 4xxx get the new version.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.