Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Evening All,

Anyone know of any tricks to getting out of this Reboot of death on a 5040? Seems to happen once a month as I have had my ReplayTV for approx. 2 months and I am on my second unit.

If there is no other way other than RTM, then can anyone let me in on what sorts of things might cause this? I want to make sure that I am not doing someing to help it to an early grave. Seems like the 5040 isn't as robust as other units from what I have read here...

Any suggestions would help.

Thanks everyone!

Perry

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I think I have a solution even if I don't know what causes this...

I did some searching in the forum and found an FTP site with the Replay 5000 series software image and instructions. Don't know if it's legal to D/L, but I am going to give it a whirl and reinstall the image to my current door stop. It just might turn into a DVR again! :)

That search button really is useful after all!

Thanks,

Perry

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
According to Lyndon, the OS just released yesterday is supposed to

fix some causes of reboot of death.

Try not to stress your unit out too much and it'll reduce chances for

filesystem corruption.

·
Registered
67 Posts
You might try doing a factory reset before reimaging the disk. Check the faq for zone entries to do this.

Also, have you done a hard-reboot (unplug the RTV for at least 5-10 minutes)? Might want to try that first.

Good luck!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by jchef
You might try doing a factory reset before reimaging the disk. Check the faq for zone entries to do this.

Also, have you done a hard-reboot (unplug the RTV for at least 5-10 minutes)? Might want to try that first.

Good luck!
Thanks...

I will look at the Factory Reset... However, I am pretty sure that the unit will not even respond to input from the Remote.

As for the hard boot... I did do this. I almost gave it the fatal boot too... That's a little bit harder of a boot... :)

At least I have my sence of humor about this!

Thanks for the suggestions...

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Someone mentioned disconnecting the ethernet cable. You should search on this site for that discussion.

Cheers

·
Registered
433 Posts
With about 4 infinite reboots under my belt, I can say that in the worst form, there is nothing that can be done to fix it, other than a reimaging of the drive. The process is relatively quick and painless.

Hopefully this new minor software update I've read about will reduce the chances of it happening again. Still waiting to get it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just wanted to say thanks for all of the suggestions. I truely tried every suggestion (Even the ones SB had to offer) and it came down to cracking the case open... The re-image worked great and the patient is resting comfortably.

Thanks again!

Perry

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.