Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 5040 received just received a new build of the OS,

Version 530451210 built on Dec 10 2002.

It's good to know the lights are still on at Replay :)

Anybody want to comment on what's been fixed or broken

in this release?

I don't have a 4xxx series to test sharing.

My units are recording primetime shows right now so I

can't test if channel surfing has improved yet.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Sure enough... old version 530450930 out... 530451210 in... It would indeed be nice if the ReplayTV website posted a fix report with their version releases... for us inquiring minds... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hear hear on the changelist request.

I was just coming up here to whine about my two reboots in two days with my week-old 5040. (My older 3030 needed rebooting maybe once every coupla months, if that... and it generally never screwed up recordings in the process like the 5040 has.)

Now that my box is busy downloading the new software, I guess my complaint'll have to wait until I get some time in on the new build. ;-)

On a side note, does anybody know if the Replay boxes upload crashlogs to the service? I know that the Ultimate TV folks uploaded crashdumps from their hard drive during internet connections so that the software team could diagnose the causes of crashes in the field for later updates.

I would really hope that Replay does something similar to see what's going on with their installed base. I seem to remember that the 5040's Privacy Policy made some sort of mention of allowing for upload of maintenance data, or something to that effect.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
After playing with it for an hour, about the only thing I've noticed so far is 20X FF and 20 REW apparently behave normally now.

Haven't observed anything broken.

And 2 days from build to (any) public roll out must be some kind of record? :)

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Still takes 5 seconds between channels while surfing. I'm using

builtin analog tuner. No change.

Still misses a keypress every now and then. Feels slightly better.

My 2 5040s haven't lost sight of each other yet, but I seemed to

have gotten better at avoiding that problem even before the

update. Possibly more stable.

Haven't lost network connectivity yet, though I haven't tried

anything special to cause it to happen. Possibly more stable.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
I had hoped (long shot) that this would fix streaming at high quality between 5000 series units without having to turn the remote ReplayTV off, but apparently not yet. :(

-Gary

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Don't think the 5000's got enough horsepower to do that. Seems to me, that's not something that can be fixed by software alone.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Has anyone taken a look at the cpu utilization meter while streaming on high between two 5000's with both on? I don't have two of them or I would check it out but it would be interesting to see.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by toots
Don't think the 5000's got enough horsepower to do that.
I'm beginning to think that, but the impression given by SB was that a 5000 could do everything a 4000/4500 could do. I don't remember any disclaimer that said "stream from one unit to another* (*standard quality only)".

-Gary

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by shengdawg
Has anyone taken a look at the cpu utilization meter while streaming on high between two 5000's with both on? I don't have two of them or I would check it out but it would be interesting to see.
Well that would be interesting.

But I don't see what turning it "off" is really gonna gain in horsepower? Since it will continue to do it's duties... little if anything horsepower-wise actually turns off. If all you save is buffering, then you'd also need to prevent it from recording while it's off? I suppose "off" may pause one layer of playback-while-recording?

Of course the software (even "drivers") have a huge impact on how the hardware is utilized anyway. So if it can stream "high" while off I don't see why it shouldn't be able to while "on"... if the activity level is the same?

That's not to say it ever will be able to. It will be interesting to see how 4xxx-5xxx streaming behaves provided we ever do get interoperability.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Of course you know what "interoperability" will mean don't you?

That we will probably have to also turn off the 4xxx to stream high? :D:D

·
Registered
283 Posts
Not while streaming at HQ, but I have seen my 5040 CPU rate go to "---" when the CPU was doing other multi tasks, just don't remember what it was now. Cute trick, huh? Not enough CPU to display the graph, so it turns it off. I have thought this AM seen the CPU go to 95%+ when it was "skipping" over a bad start of a 3 HR HQ recording. Stayed that way till it found something it could decode.

Quote:
Originally posted by shengdawg

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by KenL
But I don't see what turning it "off" is really gonna gain in horsepower?
I did quite a bit of testing last weekend with two 5040's. I seem to recall, and can verify it this weekend, that they can stream at high quality if the remote box is turned off even if the remote box is recording something at high quality. So the rub appears to be displaying video at the same time it's streaming. I just hope it's something they can fix in software.

Would be nice to know what they fixed (or think they fixed) with the 530451210 build.

-Gary

·
Registered
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by KenL
But I don't see what turning it "off" is really gonna gain in horsepower? Since it will continue to do it's duties... little if anything horsepower-wise actually turns off. If all you save is buffering, then you'd also need to prevent it from recording while it's off? I suppose "off" may pause one layer of playback-while-recording?
When a unit is turned on and buffering live TV, it is:

1. Compressing the live video stream, at high quality

2. Writing the compressed data to disk

3. Reading the previously-compressed data from disk (from a few seconds ago)

4. Decompressing that data and displaying the video stream.

When the unit is turned off, 3 and 4 are not happening. In particular, 3 is not. Remember, this is all at high quality, which puts the greatest possible toll on the system.

Now, when you are streaming video from a ReplayTV, it is:

1. Reading previously-compressed data from disk

2. Sending that data over the network

So you see that 1 on this new list can easily take the place of 3 on the old list if the unit is turned off. If the unit is buffering live TV, however, it needs to read twice as much data per second, doing both 3 from the first list and 1 from the second list. (Not that it shouldn't be able to handle that, of course, but if it can't, it can't.)

Jim

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by toots
Don't think the 5000's got enough horsepower to do that. Seems to me, that's not something that can be fixed by software alone.
I don't know what the bottleneck within the 5000s is, but I recall DMA

vs PIO can significantly reduce CPU load. This is something that a software

update could utilize. I have no idea if this is the problem, just giving an

example of something software could alleviate. I certainly hope they

can improve streaming at HQ, but am resigned to the fact the 5000

series might just be underpowered.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by joef_rgb
I have seen my 5040 CPU rate go to "---" ...
I think that just means the meter "display" has crashed. When it goes over 100 the meter freezes then releases.

On my 5xxx, the CPU meter crashes every time I toggle it off and subsequently remains "---" until I reboot. Not sure I remember it hitting "---" while it's operating? The way it works now, I can only use the 5xxx CPU meter one session per boot. And while you have those toggled on it prevents certain HUD function.

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Regarding changes in new OS version.

I could have sworn the previous OS had QWERTY keyboard

to enter text and the new one is ABCDE. Maybe my memory

is just getting bad. SS was always ABCDE as far as I can

remember.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
No, it was QWERTY before. Yousa not goin' crazy sah.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.