AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 5040 remote is barely functioning. The power button will turn the replay on/off, but the rest of the replay functions are not working (like menu, replay guide, etc.).

I have two replays and this remote does not work on either of them. The remote for my 2nd replay works fine on either replay unit. So this is not a problem with the replay unit itself.

I've tried doing replaytv+mute then 981

I've tried doing tv+mute then 981

I've tried doing replaytv+mute then 0001

I've tried doing replaytv+mute then 987

(got below at hifi-remote.com/manuals/OEM.shtml?Replay )

I've tried doing replaytv+mute then 990

...then press 1...got 1 blink on remote

...then press 2...got 6 blinks

...then press 3...got 1 blinks

...then press 4...got 4 blinks

....replaytv+mute then 1614

Every time I press a button, the red light comes on, but only the power will actually affect the replay unit.

Does anyone know how to reset the remote or anything else I can try?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Okay, slim chance but this is what was happening to mine when I first got it. (see my first post )

The problem was a broken solder joint in the remote. Pressing 'power' would flex the board it in just the right way so the infrared LED worked.

If you have a digital camera (a camcorder may work too), point the remote at it and look at the camera's LCD. Most digital cameras will see infrared to some degree and show it as visible light. This way, you will be able to tell for sure if it's really transmitting or not.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like it may be the same problem as what you had. This is also a refurb unit that I got last summer. I just had never used the remote until the past couple weeks.

I checked the IR with the remote. I saw nothing with the broken remote, but did see the light with my good remote. I will try to open it up and see if there is anything to solder. Any tips on opening it? I haven't been able to pry it apart yet. I took a screw out from behind where the batteries already, but no luck opening.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
I don't know how easy it is to fullly open that case, but before I did anything irreversible, I'd try to reset the entire device via JP1... are you at all familiar with JP1? It's a hacked interface to the remote via the six prongs inside the battery compartment.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.