AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
4 mounts? I don't know how long that is because I don't know how often you mount your replay.

If you mean 4 months it should be totally fine. Of course, you will have to pay the monthy fee if you don't have lifetime. There may even be a reconnect fee (unsure on that one)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by GooberedUp
You forgot to mention capitalization, run-on and comma splice errors. I get a headache when I see posts like this.
Aren't you missing a comma after the word "run-on"?

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm............

Byrd Dog

·
Registered
429 Posts
If you want to be picky about it, no, Goobered isn't missing a comma. There are two correct methods: one where you place a comma before the 'and' and one where you don't. Either way is grammatically correct.

eg I like cats, dogs, and birds

or

I like rabbits, monkeys and rats.

Sorry.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by melduforx
If you want to be picky about it, no, Goobered isn't missing a comma. There are two correct methods: one where you place a comma before the 'and' and one where you don't. Either way is grammatically correct.

eg I like cats, dogs, and birds

or

I like rabbits, monkeys and rats.

Sorry.
Correct!

In the legal profession, the comma before the word "and" generally is not used. It took me a while to get used to it, but it seems normal to me now.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by GooberedUp
Correct!

In the legal profession, the comma before the word "and" generally is not used. It took me a while to get used to it, but it seems normal to me now.
I've been a lawyer for years, and things get more abnormal with respect (

·
Registered
513 Posts
I don't like rats.

Anyway, I don't know where that "no comma before and" in the legal profession comes from> When I re-wrote the aviation provisions in title 49, U.S. Code, together with the Law Revision Counsel of the U.S. House of Representatives, we put commas before "and". Check it out.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hilbert1862
I don't like rats.

Anyway, I don't know where that "no comma before and" in the legal profession comes from> When I re-wrote the aviation provisions in title 49, U.S. Code, together with the Law Revision Counsel of the U.S. House of Representatives, we put commas before "and". Check it out.
Odd, in my legal writing class (1991), I was actually told not to put the comma before the "and". Later, over the years, I noticed more and more of this. Nowadays, I find it catches my eye when I do see the comma there.

And, no disrespect, but government docs are sometimes much different than private sector writing.

I'm a patent lawyer, and I sure wouldn't write sentences the way I construct claims.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
The preferred method is no comma before the "and" as it is a redundancy. Many things have changed. I do the layouts for each issue of Rattle (rattle.com). Years ago, you skipped 2 spaces after a period, today it's a no-no. There is a lot of stuff like that.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by adone36
Years ago, you skipped 2 spaces after a period, today it's a no-no. There is a lot of stuff like that.
Interesting. I used to do that before, but noticed a while ago that the practice had gone away. I still do it out of habit quite a bit, but my secretary goes through and corrects it every time. I never said anything to her about it in the beginning and just let it go. Now, I'm glad I didn't. Thanks for that one.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Amazing! Who would have thought that there would be a bunch of lawyers sitting around waiting to argue about a frickin' comma. The man asked about his ReplayTV and all you guys can do is argue about his punctuation and grammar skills.

I hope you all will not be sending him a bill. GooberedUp started the clock at 2:13pm (as shown on my screen) and ended the debate, hopefully, at 7:53 pm. Now figuring $100 dollars an hour at 5.67 hours is $567. And they (lawyers) wonder why there are so many lawyer jokes.

Q: What's the difference between a bankrupt attorney and a pigeon?

A: The pigeon can still make a deposit on a Mercedes.

Q: How can you tell a lawyer is lying?

A: Other lawyers look interested.

Q: What's wrong with lawyer jokes?

A: Lawyers don't think they're funny, and nobody else thinks they're jokes.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Sure, now another argument. Great!

Just kidding, please don't bill me.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.