AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, talked the president of the company to stay way from Tivo and go with a real PVR :)

He has had it for about 3 weeks.

All was good until the last week (or so). Now when he gets home, his replayTV is lockup on downloading.

It's setup for dial up (he has no cable modem).

Please help.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Reboot the RTV when it is locked up (either pull the power plug or hold the power button down for more than 7 secs). Hopefully it will then connect succesfully next time.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Bring your resume up to date :D

Seriously now, Pradeep has given you the proper procedure to follow. A cold boot (pull the power plug, wait a couple of minutes, plug back in) is more likely to succeed than a warm boot.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It has been uplugged, every day. Even the 'press and hold the power button in for 10 seonds' doesn't do it. Anyone else have any ideas.

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
Try what ReplayLyndon once suggested, which amounts to waiting until it dials (or do it yourself, of course, with 243-Zones and Net Connect), and locks up, and pull the power *then*. Wait ten minutes, plug it in, and do another Net Connect. It sounds strange but I've seen reports that this works (and Lyndon didn't just make it up!) :)

(By the way, the 'hold the power down' boot is a warm boot, and the 'pull the power' is the more 'drastic' cold boot.)

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
Another thing to try is another phone jack... there have been problems with bad phone lines, also... Does it say anything when it has the actual connection problem?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He is using one of those ..... add a jack things. Using your electric lines to add a phone line in the house. I'll tell him to try to plug it directly in the wall.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have had the same problem for a few weeks, it locks up on "checking for new software". Every night this happens, I tried everything I could think of, step down modem, Lyndon's advice, different connection #, different phone line, cold boot, warm boot, nothing works. It's very frustrating, I have two Replays, only one has this problem, both with version 110, it was a major problem just to get the 110 upgrade. What I haven't tried yet was to take it to my neighbors who has cable internet and letting it upgrade there to get me beyond this point.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.