Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

My 507 went south with the 3 blinking lights. I can get it to come on for a few minutes, then CLICK - picture goes and lights come on.

This has me thinking I have had a bad set all along. I've complained about the SD performance and abundance of green. However, I've seen some others complain about it too, so I convinced myself my set was OK, maybe just a little greener than most. I had to lower the green gain >10% relative to R &B which seems like too much. The CF guys end up with RGB gain values

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Good call. If you've tested that source on another display (which I assume you have) then you're doing the right thing.

How many inputs have that behavior?

Ken

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
That's pretty green, and I don't mean attractive. If I had a set looking like that I would tell them the picture is outside of any reasonable spec. for a new TV, let alone an HDTV. I would push for them to have it calibrated or give me a new set. I don't think a manufacturer could expect anyone to live with a pic like that.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Mine lamp went out last weekend after only 3 weeks.

But I was not having the green problem you were. Returning it would be the best bet and getting a replacement.

BTW my new lamp gets installed Friday. Glad I bought it at Tweeter.

Jeff

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All inputs/sources display this to some degree. Here's another pic, but with just a hint of green. It is really frustrating because I also see some great PQ with no color problems and I always think I am on the verge of fixing it.

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
Guess you missed Pier's horror story on the same type of issue . . .

Quote:
Originally posted by jsjames
Glad I bought it at Tweeter.

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
How many weeks has it been since Samsung said they thought they were close to figuring this out? I thought they thought it was the something in the closure mechanism falsely determining an open bulb panel.

Quote:
Originally posted by rocketcityhog
My 507 went south with the 3 blinking lights. I can get it to come on for a few minutes, then CLICK - picture goes and lights come on.

·
Registered
4,753 Posts
Sumptuous greens! Tell your cable company you want your martian-TV!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I received my television only three weeks ago too. The three blinking lights just occurred. Samsung offered to exchange the TV or I could have one of their service companies handle the problem. Since I bought it at Tweeter, I called them also. Here is how things are unfolding - Samsung is backing off of exchanging the TV and asking me to get it serviced. Tweeter wants to pick-up the TV and replace the boards delaing with the power switch. However they don't know when they will have the parts. Either way, it does not bode well. Since I bought the television it broadcast some channels with extremely red skin tones. In addition, there seems to be a lot of shimmering in the background of Pay cable stations.

Does anyone know if the models they are now shipping have these problems resolved?

·
Registered
713 Posts
Fijimark,

I did not buy the extended warranty yet. They said I could buy it anytime during the manufacture warrenty. I hope this is true. I will buy one eventually though.

They are scheduled to replace the lamp Friday sometime. I let everyone know if that fixes it. If not, I'm going to exchange it for another one. I talked to the manager of the local Tweeter and he said not to worry, they will make things right one way or another.

Jeff

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I can't comment on your exact problem, but if you bought it at Tweeter, you can take it back for a full refund within 30 days. "No questions asked" policy, but you have a legit return no matter what. If they give you trouble, simply point to the written 30 day policy that came with your receipt.

No way I would keep that set. If for no other reason, make it as painful on Tweeter and Samsung so they will fix this obvious defect.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
yeah, inside 30 days there is no chance i'd do anything other than return the set. unless you got some unbelievable deal you should tell them to take it back.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I guess I'll see how the lamp replacement goes, if it doesn't fix it, obviously I'll get a new set.

If it does work, I figure I have a new lamp, when the rest of the TV has been great so far. Unless the lamp isn't the problem.

When I had the set calibrated with CF, the picture was great, so I figure I can get the same result after this lamp has been replaced. If I get another set, their may be other issues with the picture like i've read here.

The thing is my 30 days are up Monday. So I don't have much time. Although I think they will replace the unit after that date if it doesn't work.

Jeff

·
Registered
713 Posts
The Tweeter tech just left. I have a new Toshiba lamp in my 507. Everything seems to be working great after 1 hour.

I'll leave it on for about 24 hours to burn in the bulb. Is 24 hours still the time to leave it on? Or should it be longer?

Jeff

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
jsjames,

I was actually replying to Melee627. My suggestion to take it back was based on the blinking lights + the other problems he was seeing.

I'm in the minority, but I think this TV was not ready to be released. Having worked in TV for >9yrs, I know the pressure to be first to market is high but this set has some serious flaws (the default to WIDE and the bulb issue, to name 2).

Anyway, keep us posted.

·
Registered
150 Posts
rocketcityhog: I agree the Sammy has many issues, future revisions will fix eventually (but if you have the set now maybe not). Poor engineers, always being pressured by the marketing dept. "Get it out pronto and fix it later" is the motto at many competitive electronics companies. Bill Gates gets the highest honors for bug fixes.

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jsjames
I'll leave it on for about 24 hours to burn in the bulb. Is 24 hours still the time to leave it on? Or should it be longer?

Jeff
I would like to know the basis for selecting a burn in time too. In this and other threads I've read everything from 20 to 100 hours. Does the set come with a recommended time?

There seem to be two factors involved; color temperature and bulb life. How do they relate to the different times that people are using?

·
Registered
856 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by htwaits
I would like to know the basis for selecting a burn in time too. In this and other threads I've read everything from 20 to 100 hours. Does the set come with a recommended time?

There seem to be two factors involved; color temperature and bulb life. How do they relate to the different times that people are using?
The suggested burn-in time is 20 hours, this is to extend the life of the lamp, many on-off cycle at the beginning is not good for the lamp. The lamp will stablize to a consistent light output after around 100 hours. That is the length of time one would want to wait before tweaking the set. You don't need to keep the set on continuously for 100 hours.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
pspun,

Have any of the blinking light/bulb failure problems been linked to excessive turn-on/off cycles when the set is new? There's been quite a few failure reports on here but a lot of the folks here are trying to tweak their sets (lots of on/off).

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.