AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can any one of you lucky 507 owners give me the dimensions of the screen? I got the box size off the Sammy website and know it is 50" diagonal, what about width and height?

·
Registered
240 Posts
We can determine theoretical values for the width and height when the diagonal and the aspect ratio are given. Remembering high school trigonometry, the aspect ratio as a fraction is the tangent of the angle (A) of the diagonal line across the screen. Thus, for a ratio 16 units wide and 9 units high, the tangent (slope) of the line is 9/16=0.5625. Find the included angle by the arctangent function: arctangent 0.5652 gives us 29.35775 degrees as the angle (A). Then, remembering that width is related to the cosine of the angle (A) = 0.8716, and the height is related to the sine of the angle (A) = 0.49, we can determine the width and height as follows.

Width of screen = 50 inches x cos (A) = 50"x 0.8716 = 43.57 inches.

Height of screen = 50 inches x sin (A) = 50" x .49 = 24.51 inches.

The actual values may differ, but these are within fractions of the actual values. You can multiply any given screen diagonal measurement for 16:9 screens in inches by the sine and cosine values above to get the width and height.

For 4:3 ratio screens, the tangent = 3/4 = 0.75, and the angle is 37.87 degrees. The cosine of the angle is 0.789 and the sine is 0.614. Multiply these values respectively by the given diagonal measurement to get the width and height of 4:3 screens.

·
Registered
9 Posts
In addition to screen size, I need to know what will you recommend for the size of the opening if I build a wood cabinet like frame in front of the 507? Is anyone done this kind of build-in?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi all, Stephanie from TVA was kind enough to email me these dimensions.

Gerardo.

Dimensions of Samsung DLP 50†Screen

Height (inches) 24.5â€

Width (inches) 43.6â€

Dimensions of Samsung DLP 43†Screen

Height (inches) 21.1â€

Width (inches) 37.5â€

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Just to be an annoying math geek for a minute:

Quote:
Originally posted by Teeh
Remembering high school trigonometry,
Trig hard, geometry easier..

(16x)^2 + (9x)^2 = (50)^2

x^2 = 7.4184

x = 2.7237

16x = 43.58

9x = 24.51

And, yeah, getting the answer emailed to you: even easier.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kevinatoaks
In addition to screen size, I need to know what will you recommend for the size of the opening if I build a wood cabinet like frame in front of the 507? Is anyone done this kind of build-in?
I had a custom wall entertainment center built for it. I can get you the dimensions and a picture with the 507 in it when I get home if you would like.

·
Registered
9 Posts
jazzcat

Please post your picture and dimention. I am scheduled to see the cabinet maker next week. The measurement would come very handy. Thanks.

·
Registered
995 Posts
kevinatoaks, the height is 38". I have 3.5" from the top of the 507 to the top of the shelf. (spaces are for air circulation but the 507 runs pretty cool. been on for 50 hours) My center channel is above that on a shelf angled down for couch sitting position.

Width is 52 inches which gives 2.5 inches clearance on each side. Depth is 21.5 inches. Plenty of room to slide 507 out to make connections.

Shelf is 36 inches off the floor. Some would say that is too high, but I have absolutely no issues with it. Picture looks great whether you are standing or sitting on the couch.

Pictures to follow.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
jazzcat,

that looks very nice. have you thought about moving the left and right speakers up to the top shelf (laying them on their sides) to create a more uniform soundstage? i'm also guessing they will even sound better a bit higher off the ground. try it and see if you agree.

·
Registered
9 Posts
A nice setup! Thanks for posting it. I had planned to include a snap-on wood frame in front of the TV. Looking at your setup, I may do without it.

·
Registered
995 Posts
broadwayblue, great suggestion! I was very new to HT and HDTV but this forum is bringing me up to snuff. I will elevate them and give it a try. Makes sense.

kevinatoaks, this set-up works well so far. I originally built it for a 50" plasma and was going to wait till they came down in price. Along came the 507 and I had to spend extra $$ to re-do the center section 'cause it was about 1 inch too short! Onkyo amp and Panasonic RP82 are in the cabinet underneath.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
This is one of the best threads I've seen in a while. I love seeing someone answer a question using a formula!!! :)

I guess that is the geek in me coming out.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Salmoneous
Just to be an annoying math geek for a minute:

Trig hard, geometry easier..

(16x)^2 + (9x)^2 = (50)^2

x^2 = 7.4184

x = 2.7237

16x = 43.58

9x = 24.51

And, yeah, getting the answer emailed to you: even easier.
Yes, trig hard, geometry easier for the math geek who for a moment develops a formula to get width and height for one screen size. Trig based formula easier for non-geek to calculate for any screen size. Just multiply by the Cosine and Sin values given (for each aspect ratio) using simple arithmetic. No geometry, no algebra, and no annoying math geek necessary!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.