AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, First let me say I am "a long time viewer, first time poster" to this forum. I really appreciate everyone's great posts that have really taught me a lot.

I have viewed the 507 set at Tweeters in Chino which I don't believe it had all the SM tweaks, (they would not let me enter the SM menu). Therefore the picture was good but not great which I'm sure also had to due with the poor feed as most of the TV's did not look good. DVD looked good, however the dark scenes lacked shadow detail, which I believe the SM tweaks would improve. My main concern with this set is temporal dithering or shimmering. I have seen it a few times on this set and wanted to see if it was a common problem. I was watching football on CBS, and the grass field would shimmer as a few people have posted. Do those of you who have this set or spent a lot of time with this set see "shimmmering"? If so when and how often does it appear? I am a big sports fan and would not be happy if the field kept shimmering. Also, is this a problem in most HDTV or do other sets not have this problem? I have seen the same issue on the Hitachi once, but have not seen it on the GWII or Toshiba.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I hope the lack of response means this isn't much of an issue with current owners of the 507/437. If that is true please let me know. I am trying to determine how often this problem is occuring to see if I could tolerate it. Anyone have any feedback/issues on this? All the other issues with the 507/437 were discussed greatly in this forum except this one. Is the Samsung on average with other sets, ie GWII, Toshiba, etc?

Am I off base on this question?

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
iannabi,

Temporal Dithering is inherent in the HD2 DLP technology. It has been discussed here in the forum but, since there is no adjustments that can be made to fix it, it doesn't get a great amount of attention. I have noticed it on all sources but, the better the source the less dithering takes place. You need to decide if it bothers you enough that you cannot live with it.

-ftlee

·
Registered
28 Posts
iannabi,

I have the 507, with suggested SM tweaks and the "shimmering" effect is most noticeable while watching football and the yardage lines are horizontal on the screen i.e. an endzone camera shot. I've since looked for this effect on other sets, while viewing football, and have also noticed it on those sets but not to the extent of the 507. This being said, when I first watched football on the 507 I was pleasantly surprised by the overall PQ (AT&T cable) and continue to be pleased.

On a final note, I've noticed that the better the signal the less the effect-- I've rarely noticed it from DVD (RP91 prog scan) and when I have it's been very minor, very brief.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
One thing that I noticed that produces temporal dithering is viewing moving pictures of flames in a fire, I don't think the set can keep up with the data needed to produce the flame the way it was filmed, I've noticed it other pictures, but not that much.

Jim

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the great comments. If the picture only shimmers ocassionaly during a game for short periods of time, I could definitely look past it as I will be getting a great overall set that has all the other benefits mentioned in this forum. I just wanted to be sure that it does not shimmer for most of the game or long periods of time where it could get really annoying.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.