AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, after all the problems, maybe you will.

I get the call yesterday from the freight company and arrange for delivery today with a window from 1:00 - 3:00. I take a half day off from work and rush home.

At 12:58 I pull into my driveway and what is waiting for me? Why it's a giant Samsung box *sitting outside my door*. No paperwork, no note, no phone message left. Just a shrinkwrapped box sitting out in the cold.

So far I've managed to get in through the door and into the house. But it's pretty much blocking all traffic. I'd really like to open it up and test it out to see if it was damaged or anything. And I've been waiting months and I want to play with my TV! But that's not going to happen until I figure out a way to get it out of the kitchen and into the TV room. Sadly, no burly friends available to come help me out until the weekend.

Whooo boy. My wife has really been making fun of me for the whole powerbuy fiasco. I can't wait to see what she says when she get's home and sees this. Hmmm, maybe I can throw a cloth over it and claim it's a table.

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DiamondDave
Well, if you take it out of the box, it only weighs 84lbs, right?
80, I think. It's a lightweight. You can carry it in the back seat of your car to your friends' houses and play video games, per one user on this forum.

Just be sure to let it warm up a few hours if it was in very cold weather for a long time -- you want all condensation (from warm house air) to evaporate and not pop any circuits.

Have fun!

·
Registered
433 Posts
The guy that delivered mine was willing to help me get the box downstairs to my TV room. However, the box wouldn't fit around one of the tight corners. After removing the TV from the box, my son & I were able to easily take it down the stairs & get it into place. It's actually easier to move around than my old 27" TV.

You & your wife should be able to move it with no problem.

It's really ridiculous that they left a $3200 TV on your doorstep.

Jeff

·
Registered
76 Posts
Salmoneous, That is just amazing! What freight company delivered your set? I hope they won't be delivering my second batch power buy set.

If nobody signed for it, they would have no proof of delivery and could have owed you another set if it had been stolen. I hope TVA and Samsung are keeping track of all the shipping problems.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I expressed my serious concern over the various shipping fiascos experienced by the first powerbuy group to Neil and he assured me

that they had been resolved. Now I am nervous all over again.

I am in the second group -- you know, the one that is shipping "sometime

this week" -- yeah, right. Seems to be taking an awfully long time for

the message of what day this week to get out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
:confused: :confused: Salmoneus,

Where are you located in? I live in Brookline, MA right next to Boston. Before delivery of my television set, no appointment was scheduled. I had to call tvauthority and Watkins Freight company to find out when my television was coming. Luckily, I was monitoring the forum sites and new that my television was arriving soon. Yesterday, Watkins Freight delivered my television, but the delivery man refused to help me bring it up to my apartment. The delivery man stated that he would only leave it out on the sidewalk also. Lucky someone was home to accept shipment. We had to pay the delivery man an extra ten dollars to bring the television up to the apartment. Furthermore, when we unboxed the televsion, there was a huge, approximately four inch hole through the front of the television screen. As you probably would have imagined, I was extremely disappointed and upset. I contacted Hugh from TV Authority and he stated that Samsung would send me a replacement soon. I am eagerly awaiting my replacement, but also have a huge boxed television set occupying half of my living room space. Hopefully better luck next time. I know that TV Authority and Samsung are not to blame, but maybe a better, more reliable freight company should be used in the future.

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
What Neil said about this possiblity:

Quote:
that is exactly why we never ship expensive equipment through UPS or FedEx.

A qualified freight carrier will be handling your unit, and they absolutely are not allowed (ever) to leave a unit laying around without a signature.

As for your other question - the shipping company would be liable if somehow your unit was delivered w/o signature - not you.
On one hand, I sure won't be the one holding the bag if this happens to me and the thing disappears. In fact, I can pretty much guarantee the thing will disappear if they drop it on my doorstep without a sig (take that as a threat, a promise, or just a guess). On the second hand, my CC is charged, so if it did disappear, it would just add to the already unreasonable delay.

I too am very disappointed nothing has been specifically addressed yet about the shipping problems. To me, it is time to forget the drop shipping and just go back to normal. Neil already told me authorized dealers are not discouraged from doing internet sales on this unit, so that whole argument by Samsung (about why an internet sale really wasn't an internet sale) was a bunch of garbage anyway.

I've done the following proactively (I realize proactiveness in this PB by participants and principals is in short supply sometimes): I've posted a letter on the door saying don't leave without delivering the set giving 2 phone numbers to call. I guess I should amend to also say don't leave the set there without anyone home?

·
Registered
76 Posts
ajchang001, These delivery problems are getting scary. You must be totally bummed out after waiting so long for your PB set

I'm curious, was there a corresponding hole in the box where you found the hole in the screen, or did it seem like it had been boxed with the hole in it?

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
So I guess this answers another question: TVA did not get any sets to ship out for DOA or damaged units (or else they are all already used up, but I doubt it), as Neil indicated he thought they would. What is soon? I thought these were on such tight allocation that there weren't going to be any left lying around?

From Neil:
Quote:
Also, in order to service our customers, we will be personally inventorying a handful of units for situations that you describe. Of course, I can't guarantee that if tens of units were destroyed, we'd have one readily available for you. That being said, we ship a minimum of a half dozen plasmas a day, and rarely if ever have shipping problems, or DOA units. The probabilty of that occurring for tens of units is minimal.
Please keep us updated on this. Neil has already indicated that if the delay on a replacement on a DOA or shipping damage claim isn't in a reasonable time frame, a CC refund would be considered to start the clock on the CC protection over again. And no I wouldn't feel bad about doing it. Neil would be more than justified in sending the charge on to Samsung since they chose the bonehead shippers.

Grrrr . . .

Quote:
Originally posted by ajchang001
I contacted Hugh from TV Authority and he stated that Samsung would send me a replacement soon.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Watkins delivered my 507 yesterday. My wife was in, asked whether the driver would set it up, agreed to $50, and by the time I got home (30 min.) it was set up and running successfully.

I am very happy.

Frank

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
Ok, so we can still get the initially promised white glove/in-home delivery service--we just pay for it twice now.

:rolleyes:

Makes perfect sense--drop shipping makes the overall shipping costs less. Sure, perfectly logical.

In any case, not sure these freight guys are really qualified to set these things up (bet he didn't wait for it to get up to room temp)--I think I'll set mine up myself, but I would appreciate it if they got it in the house with me.

Quote:
Originally posted by ajchang001
The delivery man stated that he would only leave it out on the sidewalk also. Lucky someone was home to accept shipment. We had to pay the delivery man an extra ten dollars to bring the television up to the apartment.
So I guess you'll consider yourself lucky if you only have to pay $10 to get the next unit up to your apartment? Or did he give you a refund ;)

You'll even get to pay more than twice for your in-home delivery . . .

·
Registered
34 Posts
One week has elapsed since Fedex Freight missed their delivery appointment for my 437. The local service center keeps telling me they're "looking for it". One more day of this and I'll have to get Samsung to start the process of filing a claim and shipping me a second set. Thankfully, Steve Panosian has promised to help.

I have a feeling my TV has found a home at the residence of a Fedex Freight employee...

Definitely frustrating to have these problems after everything else. ajchang, Salmoneous, I feel your pain. Anybody else had trouble with Fedex Freight?

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ed Grskovich
I don't remember prison cells in Illinois being big enough to hold a RPTV.
What do you mean? I'm in a high crime area :) However, if the actual shipping personnel are this unconcerned about their accountability, you have to wonder what a nightmare it would be to get anything done. I wouldn't actually want to be the one testing it, but it would be interesting to see how it played out.

·
Registered
183 Posts
My Watkins buy delivered my set (Philly, PA) yesterday. He called 1 hour prior to delivery. I drove home, he was in front of my house with the set still in the truck. He asked that I verify that it was still attached to the wood pallet, which I did. He removed it from the pallet and brought it into my living room without me asking for him to do so. I tipped him, voluntarily, and he left. The box was clean and the set inside was undamaged. In all, it was as good an experience as I've had with a shipper.

Good luck to all,

Matt

·
Registered
995 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by turls
What do you mean? I'm in a high crime area :)
Maybe you should have gotten a heavier, bulkier set. Harder to steal! ;)

·
Registered
729 Posts
Watkins, eh! Here are some Watkins bedtime stories for you.

Nine years ago I purchased a then high end Panasonic superflat 31" TV from a mercifully now defunct merchant (it was a telephone order back then, not on line). The first set arrived with the front panel and top completely busted. It took all summer for me and my credit card company working with the dealer (who lost the paperwork I sent one-day air) to get them to agree it was their fault, pick up the old set and have the new one delivered.

Fast forward to today. My normal dealer has recently seen this carrier deliver a Pioneer Elite RPTV and Denon AVR-5803 to their store from the manufacturers. These are not inexpensive items. They were trashed in shipping and in both cases the carrier denied the claims.

Beware.

Ira S. Weiss

·
Registered
736 Posts
With all of the F.U.D. in this thread let me just say that my HLM507W was delivered by Watkins as scheduled and in perfect condition.

No, not "white gloves" service but the driver was very friendly and helpful with unloading (YMMV). It did arrive by semi - not a problem for my house but undoubtedly this would be for others.

The best advise posted - call your freight carrier and request appropriate service. And don't forget how much dinero we all saved with the powerbuy !

Good luck to all !

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
Highlights from e-mail exchage with Neil at TVA--I was trying to figure out exactly what these shippers are contracted to do at time of delivery, since they obviously are taking liberties with PB sets.

This is a FUD free post--not that actual PB experiences reported here are FUD anyway :rolleyes:

(emphasis below added by me)

"We've been told that each and every Bill of Lading specifies Inside Delivery, as well as "Contact Customer to Set-Up Delivery".

"To the best of our knowledge, no one has yet to pay for any delivery-related services."

"Bottom line - the driver needs you to sign off on the delivery, and you can make him wait a reasonable amount of time to inspect your delivery before signing."

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.