AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start by stating that I am a graphic designer. I spend most of my time zoomed in on pixels (or vectors) aligning them to where is damn near perfect. When searching for a HDTV I wanted just that, "perfect." The idea of buyers remorse makes me sick, especially when we're talking about one of the more expensive purchases one could make.

Now I hate to bring this up because of all the reading I've done, all of the charts I've studied, and even some visual evidence tells me that I cannot spot the difference between 1080p and 720p from 10' away. However, after reading about the 5080 wonder of the world, I was bothered that it looked somewhat blurry. It was a very soft picture which may be nice for film, but I worried about video games and football/baseball games.

But after convincing myself that I could live with this blur, I noticed the sharper 5010 down the line. Knowing what I had read I told myself to be fair and start looking from 15' on each set, then 14' and so on. The truth is, at 13' I noticed an overwhelming difference. Enough of a difference that I uncontrollably chuckled out loud in amazement. I'd never seen a picture look so good.

So I've come here to be persuaded or reprimanded for my silly predicament. The price difference between these two sets is staggering. In fact, the difference is about what I set my budget at to start. But as many people often do when they see a Pioneer, I threw that budget out the door.

Here's my situation:

Viewing Distance: 9'-11'

Viewing Content: 360, PS3, HD-DVD, Bluray, Sports, Comcast cable

Viewers - Myself (sharp-eye), my girlfriend (can barely read the on-screen guide)

Do I wait (ugh) for the price to fall on the 5010? Or, pay the ridiculous amount that's being asked for it now? Or, buy the 5080 and ignore that there's a shaper picture out there?

-Adam

PS - One could argue that a "comprable" Samsung 5084 or Panasonic PZ700U would suit my needs, but really the Pioneer is in a totally different class.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I hate to muddy the waters even further but at a 9'-11' viewing distance, the 6010 would be the way to go imo. But if ~$4,600 is too far outside the budget, go with the 5010.

·
Registered
38 Posts
When you say you noticed an "overwhelming difference"--what content were you viewing, from what kind of source, and where were you viewing?

·
Registered
497 Posts
I think you already answered this question in your post. You say you can see a overwhelming difference. If that's the case, then you shouldn't hesitate to buy the 5010. If you get anything else at this point you'll be left with buyer's remorse.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFJ /forum/post/12858766

When you say you noticed an "overwhelming difference"--what content were you viewing, from what kind of source, and where were you viewing?

The demo reel at Best Buy, primarily the BBC Galapagoes bit is where I studied the hardest. It had a lot of detailed, distant rocks that helped when comparing resolutions. I also saw a difference at an independent, high-end A/V store while watching some cable box feed of a HD music channel.

·
Registered
313 Posts
The charts will tell you that at 9-11 ft you shouldn't see a difference between a 720p and 1080p 50" screen:
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/hit...esolution.html

But - it sounds like your eyes are telling you different! If you're sure the 5010 and 5080 you've been looking at are being fed the same signal and are "set up" similarly, then it seems like you'll always be disappointed with what you see as a softer picture. Try calling some of the forum sponsors to get quotes on both sets - the 5010 might not be as far out of reach as you think!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by swlee /forum/post/12858837

Try calling some of the forum sponsors to get quotes on both sets - the 5010 might not be as far out of reach as you think!

I may have to do just that. I hear Roman at Invision Displays is king around here when it comes to Pioneer plasma.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_D /forum/post/12858754

I hate to muddy the waters even further but at a 9'-11' viewing distance, the 6010 would be the way to go imo. But if ~$4,600 is too far outside the budget, go with the 5010.

I would love to do 60", but I fear that it may be too large for future living rooms if/when I move.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I also agree that for a seating distance of 9-11ft, the 6010 would really be "The Ticket"! We're at the same distance in my family room, and our 6010 is wonderful! But, it is a major bump in $$$ from the 5010 ...

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
The 5010-6010 may drop in price for the SB, ya never no. Can you wait for another week or two? If not, get the 5080.

Although like cjm7c said, if you saw the difference and went with your lesser choice you automatically will have remorse.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Take the 60'' you wont regret it

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-A-G-L-E-S /forum/post/12858969

The 5010-6010 may drop in price for the SB, ya never no. Can you wait for another week or two? If not, get the 5080.

Although like cjm7c said, if you saw the difference and went with your lesser choice you automatically will have remorse.

I can definitely wait a couple weeks. I wonder, do sets traditionally come down after the Superbowl?

·
Banned
2,357 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAdamBomb /forum/post/12859036

I can definitely wait a couple weeks. I wonder, will sets come down after the Superbowl?

If I knew I would for sure tell you. Very hard to tell with Pioneer these days and their MSRP price drops.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I'm at that distance and have the Pioneer 5080HD and I can tell you I think it's plenty big enough, going to a 60" would feel to big for the living room.

With HD content the 5080HD looks incredible. Although I wanted the 5010, I couldn't justify the massive price difference here in Canada. I figured by the time I am sick of the 5080HD (year or two) I can pick up a new 50" 1080P set for less money.

The 5080 performs incredibly. To me the only real benefit to the 5010 is PC hook up, because the 5080 looks less than stellar hooked up a PC feeding it 1366 x 768.

Cheers,

Detox

·
Registered
7,625 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAdamBomb /forum/post/12859036

I can definitely wait a couple weeks. I wonder, do sets traditionally come down after the Superbowl?

Usually big box store do discounts 'just' before the SB. And almost always an online auth. dealer will match or beat it.

So if they don't come down you'll have to decide if you can live with your second choice with all factors considered.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Adam, If you were looking at a cable box feed of an HD channel and the Best Buy loop--neither of which, from my understanding, are 1080p signals, I would question how accurate a measuring tool that is.

I'm a graphic designer, too. I stare directly at two 23-inch Apple Cinema displays all day. I faced the same decision last month. And what I found was that the manner in which the sets are configured and displayed in the store has as much as anything to do with quality of picture. Some BB stores I went to one set looked better than the other; some it was the opposite.

You know what you saw, but any difference in sharpness from more than 8' or so ft away between the two sets viewing 720p or 1080i content is probably due more to the environment than any difference between the sets, and I can guarantee that 1080p content looks staggeringly good on the 5080--wonderfully sharp. If you have the money for the 5010 and want the set or are willing to wait, that makes sense. I chose the 5080 and I have yet to have anyone over who's jaws don't drop at the PQ.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I am (was) in that same boat...same seating distance more or less and trying to justify the need and expense for a 1080p (not necessarily the 5010).

Most here seem to be saying let your eyes justify the purchase and to some degree, your wallet. More isn't necessarily better I have found.

I think it is at the core of a man's existence to always go bigger and better, often times without proper justification. Would you have more "buyer's remorse" over not going bigger and better (assumedly) or rather by stretching your budget and wallet?

I'll pick up my 5080 on Sunday, largely site unseen. I did go and look at the set in the stores but it was a biased comparison for obvious reasons, some my own, some the retailers. Once I saw it (and larger sets), I felt like anything bigger might in fact become the 800lb gorilla in the living room that everyone would try and ignore. If in fact after a few months/years, I feel the need to go bigger, I always can. If I go all out out of the gate, it may take that same period of time for me to catch up in my mind and justify that initial expense. I can easily justify it down the road. For me, it would be harder to justify it from the start when the more viable option was the 5080, i.e. cheaper and more sutiable to my viewing conditions and limitations.

Nonetheless, I'm happy with my purchase even though I haven't begun to even enjoy it yet...call it peace of mind for money saved backed by some pretty stout testimony from 5080 owners here and on the net.

Choose wisely!

·
Premium Member
2,316 Posts
I had a 5080 and currently own a 5010. There is no way that I could see an overwhelming difference between them at 13' with my 20/20 vision.

I'm at 8' and at 9' I would still own the 5080.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts