AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just added a 5080 to the upstairs bedroom. I have a cable that is split -one directly to the tv one to the replay. No cable box.

When I tune to channel 14 on the replay the picture quality is poor- on the tv it is ok.

I had comcast come out to check the signal to the bedroom and it is ok. I removed the s video cable from the replay to the tv and tried a straight video cable and it got a little better- still not great.

The downstairs replay gets 14 without a problem.

Out of 60 channels or so there is 2 or 3 that are bad.

Any thoughts on fixing this?

thanks

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
It's a signal problem, despite what comcast tells you. The signal may be OK for their equipment, but not for Replay's. The fact that the other Replay doesn't have the same problem tells you something.

Get yourself a good amp/splitter (search "electroline") and be sure the connections are done properly. The Replay's internal tuners are notorious for their inability to deal with weak or noisy signals.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The line that goes to the living room has an amp because the hd box would'nt work wihtout it.

I will try to temporarily use it on the upstairs line and see what happens-

Thanks for the suggestion-

I will post what happens.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WPF
I just added a 5080 to the upstairs bedroom. I have a cable that is split -one directly to the tv one to the replay. No cable box.

When I tune to channel 14 on the replay the picture quality is poor- on the tv it is ok... ...The downstairs replay gets 14 without a problem...
I don't exactly understand from your post how many splitters you have and where they are. Maybe you could use NotePad, and edit this fine diagram (courtesy of MaxH) to indicate *YOUR* setup:
Code:
Code:
Cable from wall-----Splitter------ReplayTV~~~~~~HDTV####DVD player
                     |     |         S          #  |
                     |     ----------S----------#---
                     Cable box~~~~~~~S          #
                          #                     #
                          #######################
One line represents coax, #'s represent component cables, and a tilde (wavy line) or S represents S-video.

Experiment:
  • For however many splitters you have, pick up an equal number of female-to-female couplers.

• Starting at the bedroom ReplayTV, one-by-one, replace the splitter with the coupler, connecting only the ReplayTV to the previous input to the splitter. (Your ultimate goal here is to have the bedroom ReplayTV as the ONLY device connected to the cable feed entering your home. Connect the bedroom ReplayTV to the bedroom TV with the S-video cable.)

• Each splitter replaced will be equivalent to a 3.5db amplifier.

Won't cost you much and will give you a better picture of what you currently have and what a 3.5 / 7.0 / 10.5db amplifier will buy you.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well did a little experiment today.

Took the electroline amp from the downstairs feed and plugged it into the upstairs feed. Indeed the picture quality improved on channel 14 on the replay upstairs.

I still had some audio noise on the left channel. When I took a coax directly from the replay to the tv the noise was gone and picture quality was better than the audio/video replay ouput cables. (I don't want to live with that choice-want to be able to record replay and watch other tv channel at the same time).

I tried a few different audio/video cables to see if that would make any difference but it didn't.

I reconnected the amp back to dowstairs and when I put my ear to the left speaker on the downstairs tv there was some noise on the left channel via the replay but not as noticeable as upstairs.

I guess that's the difference between a 34" Philips HD tv (downstairs) and a non HD cheapy panasonic upstairs.

Anyone have any thoughts?

thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
When I got my first Replay almost two years ago, as soon as I hooked up my analog cable, I noticed a significant drop in picture quality. Certain channels were so snowy I could barely see them. But direct to the TV, the cable signal appeared fine.

My cable company actually told me that my signal was poor and they replaced the cable outside running from the main cable box on my block to my house. OK, that was step one. Then (with further prodding), they agreed to put a signal amplifier on my cable line in the house. But in between those two things, I decided to run new separate coax to all my rooms, just to clean things up. I couldn't begin to tell what kinds of whacky things the previous owners had done to the lines! Along with the amplifier from the cable company, my signal is now CLEAN! But it took a lot of work. My motto is NO SPLITTERS, it just degrades the signal and Replay is far too sensitive to deal with that. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WPF
I still had some audio noise on the left channel. When I took a coax directly from the replay to the tv the noise was gone and picture quality was better than the audio/video replay ouput cables. (I don't want to live with that choice-want to be able to record replay and watch other tv channel at the same time).
Not that is will help much with your main problem, but here's the setup I ran (when I had cable) to watch live tv and record shows on the Replay at the same time.

Code:
Code:
Cable from wall-------------------------------------------->Replay Coax Input
Replay Coax output----------------------------------------->TV Coax Input
Replay A/V Output(Red/White and Yellow or S-Video---------->TV Input
When you turn off the Replay, the coax on the Replay acts as a feedthrough, but still records whatever you setup. At that time, you can use the TV's tuner to watch live TV. When the Replay is on, the coax output is whatever the Replay is outputing, but since the other outputs are better, I'd switch the TV to use the A/V line input.

No splitters are required with this setup and it's very easy to use.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.