AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As part of the 4000 / 5000 compatibility upgrade, I chose to replace my 4080 with a 5080. I tested the 5080 in the bedroom for a week before replacing the 4080 in the entertainment center. Everything was fine. After replacing the 4080 with the 5080, the 5080 now comes up with "No video signal detected" (but it worked fine in the bedroom). So I hook the 4080 back up and it works fine. Even tried the 5040 and that also worked fine. Thinking I screwed up somewhere with the cables, I hooked the 5080 back up and still no video signal. So, I bring the 5080 back to the bedroom and it works fine.

Why would the TV, 4080 and 5040 work fine in the Family room, but not the 5080? But all of them work fine in the bedroom.

Thinking the tuner must be overly sensitive, I called tech support. The technician was baffled. He had me check the inputs, settings etc. He then spoke with his supervisor who spoke with his supervisor etc. After 30 mins. on hold, they are going to push the 5.1 software to my Replay next week. They are hoping that the 5.1 software will fix it. According to him, it is supposed to be released at the end of this month, however they are going to push it to my unit some time next week. (can't do anything over the weekend)

What I have found out since speaking with the tech is that if I pull the plug, wait a few seconds and plug it back in, the tuner will work about 20% of the time.

I saw another thread where a tuner supposedly died and tech support said you have to have the cable connected first before powering up the

Replay. Since I connected all the cables first, then powered up, this solution doesn't work for me.

Does anyone know if the 5.1 software is supposed to fix any "no video signal" problems? Or do I just have a flaky tuner that doesn't always want to tune in? It wasn't like the tech said this is a known problem that will be fixed with the next release of software.....it was more like lets hope and pray. :(

Thanks

·
Registered
156 Posts
I had the exact same issues with both of my refurb 5040. I had a 4040 and bought two refurb 5040's. One of them has been fine and the other was RMA'ed. I have since added an amplifier to my digital cable line and all has been well with the replacement unit and the other refurb unit.

It could be one of three things:

1) You may have a hardware problem.

2) The 5000 tuner is a bit more sensitive to input single than the 4000 so you may want to try a 10dB signal booster from Radio Shack or Best Buy.

Here's my advice....

- If you get "No Signal" on every channel (whether you are using the internal tuner or a cable box as an external tuner), I would try the signal amplifier. If that does the trick, you should be fine.

If not, you can try v5.1 if they are sending it to you to see what happens but I suspect if you have no signal on every channel, it is most likely a hardware issue.

Good Luck!

Judge

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
Check the trouble shooting thread for some suggestions.

The tuner in the 5k model SUCKS. There I said it, after all the complaints I finally gave my feelings...

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
They are giving 5.1 software to you for this? Hm... I've never seen any software upgrade fix a 'blue screen on all channels'. There was/is the channel 44 and channel 6 problem, which 5.0/110 fixed for some (including one of my machines).

I'd have thought they'd RMA your box. Let us know how 5.1 works! And, Jeff's right. The software tweaks help, but the tuner (in general) has to be a POS to need all this hand-holding by the software...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.