AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a projector that can throw 50 ft and play 1920x1080 and has at least 6000 lumens onto a 28x12 ft screen.It should have HDMI inputs

It needs to be priced under $10,000

Let the list begin.

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
That list will be very short. There are no projectors that can do what you're looking for below 10k. In fact, I'll bet you'll have to go significantly higher. I'm not an expert on ultra high-end PJ's, but I believe you'd have to cough up something like 50k for 6000 lumens @ 1080p. At least for a new unit.

However, there is a Christie hd6k-m slightly over you budget at Videogon.

·
Premium Member
2,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drexler /forum/post/19546560

That list will be very short. There are no projectors that can do what you're looking for below 10k. In fact, I'll bet you'll have to go significantly higher. I'm not an expert on ultra high-end PJ's, but I believe you'd have to cough up something like 50k for 6000 lumens @ 1080p. At least for a new unit.

However, there is a Christie hd6k-m slightly over you budget at Videogon.

There is nothing that "I" know off that will throw 50ft for under $10K.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Looks similar to a movie house unit

The Infocus pj that you mentioned has a claimed contrast ratio of 2000:1. There's not anything anyone can do to improve a pj's contrast ratio, but it should work fine where you have plenty of ambient light.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Well, OK, I was too focused on cinema projectors.
There are business light cannons out there but they usually don't have 1080p resolution and have horrible picture quality when it comes to movies. I should have made a better job of checking - business PJ kinda fly under my radar...

Looking at the Infocus: single lamp, 1-chip DLP. To get these kind of lumens, they will have to run it at close to native lamp spectrum - meaning the colors will be way off. What are your intended use for the projector? If it is movies other things beside resolution come into play - color accuracy, contrast etc.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is for a Dub Stage where I mix Sound for Movies. It would be nice to have a $100,000 Christie but the budget doesn't allow for that.

Most of our "work tapes" aren't finished copies, but works in progress

before "Color Timing". We are mixing the Sound while the Picture is still being

worked on.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.sound /forum/post/19547179

It is for a Dub Stage where I mix Sound for Movies. It would be nice to have a $100,000 Christie but the budget doesn't allow for that.

Most of our "work tapes" aren't finished copies, but works in progress

before "Color Timing". We are mixing the Sound while the Picture is still being

worked on.

Well, there was a 1080p 3-chip DLP, dual-lamp 6000 ANSI lumens Christie for 14K.
That's a steal!

It all comes down to how important image quality is to you. I don't really see the point of having 1080p as a requirement if pic-quality is not prioritized, and if it is there are other parameters that are more important. The business models will give you the lumens and some apparently also the resolution, but I'll bet it won't look too pretty. It's difficult when the screen gets so big since it either gets really expensive or you have to go with an auditorium/business projector. I don't know if I can be much help here.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drexler /forum/post/19547232

Well, there was a 1080p 3-chip DLP, dual-lamp 6000 ANSI lumens Christie for 14K.
That's a steal!

It all comes down to how important image quality is to you. I don't really see the point of having 1080p as a requirement if pic-quality is not prioritized, and if it is there are other parameters that are more important. The business models will give you the lumens and some apparently also the resolution, but I'll bet it won't look too pretty.

Image quality is important. Clients are judging the sound in the room not the picture quality. It needs to look very good.

Here is a link to my place :
http://www.thedubstage.com/facility.php

We just finished mixing "Faster" that is in the Theaters this week.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Hmmm, in that case I don't think the auditorium models with cut it picture quality wise and I do believe your budget is too tight to pull it off. 10K is usually home cinema domain, 28x12 ft screen is something else entirely. Maybe someone else can chime in?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Is there any way to get the Infocus on a trial basis?

For the price, nothing comes close. Contrast ratio of 2000:1 would work OK for dubbing and evaluating sound quality.

See if vendor might agree to a test run before you buy.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Eiki looks good

The product has a claimed 5000 lumen output. If this is actual, measurable lumen output, it probably can light up a 28 ft x 12 ft screen.

Latest Epson projectors claim 2000 lumens from 200 watt lamp, while Eiki uses 330 watt lamp. Comparing these two wattages, it looks about right. The only worrisome thing is that picture optimization reduces brightness in home theater projectors. But the Eiki is not designed for home theater, so there is a chance that it will suit your needs.

You will need a lens other than "stock." Projector comes with a lens that throws as far back as 70 ft, but the picture width is 18 ft.

For 50 ft throw and 28 ft width, you will very likely get a brighter picture.

Looking forward to your report in Jan.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Immediately after a demo by the Eiki rep last week I purchased the projector.

I installed 2 days later. It looks amazing! It is bright, clear and make the movies fed into it look outstanding. Clients really like the look of their movies.

I purchased it through projectorzone and I am very happy with their service.

Now the next purchase is a new 28' x 12' screen.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Great news

Clients probably view all their work on monitors, and when a projector throws their work on a big screen, they say, Gosh, sure looks like a real movie!

Nice way to start a new year!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts