AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

· Registered
5,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm surprised it happened so quickly. Considering that there wasn't a single 50gb until Oct 11 (Click), I didn't think we'd see this many 50gb titles until March.

Now, previously announced 25gb titles like AvP, Manchurian Candidate, We Were Soldiers, Last Samurai have all been released as 50gb. 70-80% of the upcoming titles seem to be 50gb discs.

I like this trend.

· Registered
5,067 Posts
Yet, Blu-ray never comes through on its promises, right?

· Registered
3,993 Posts
When I saw what could be done with 25GB discs the value of 50GB diminished.

For extremely long movies like the EE editions of LotR and some others the value stands

out in relief but for your basic 2hr feature length film I don't see the value quite so clearly.

I like extras but honestly there's but a few discs in my collection of DVD that have extras I wish to look at again.

· Registered
3,993 Posts
I'm impressed by how Sony was able to overcome their obstacles and get the BD50 pressed in quantity. I'm not sure the end results matched their efforts but movies are improving on a monthly basis. In a few years we'll look back at KoH and say "I can't believe I thought this was Reference"

That's a good thing.

· Registered
1,195 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison /forum/post/0

In a few years we'll look back at KoH and say "I can't believe I thought this was Reference"

That's a good thing.

I already feel that way about a lot of early titles.

· Registered
325 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison /forum/post/0

When I saw what could be done with 25GB discs the value of 50GB diminished.

For extremely long movies like the EE editions of LotR and some others the value stands

out in relief but for your basic 2hr feature length film I don't see the value quite so clearly.

For us non-US users, the value of 50 GB discs is the ability of storing several language tracks. I hope publishers will use the extra storage to include 2 ou 3 DTS HD tracks besides their DD counterparts.

· Registered
1,045 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Meridian /forum/post/0

I thought Amir said 50GB BD disks are a myth?

No he did not. He said that they would be released but not in readily large amounts at first...and he was right.

And the 51G HD DVD discs do you guys think that they are a myth too? He said they would release movies on them in quater 4

· Registered
359 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAGOSIAN /forum/post/0

No he did not. He said that they would be released but not in readily large amounts at first...and he was right.

And the 51G HD DVD discs do you guys think that they are a myth too? He said they would release movies on them in quater 4

He said 51GB disks in 08. TL51GB disks only exist on paper right now.

· Registered
1,761 Posts
Correct, here's his quote:

Quote:
The format is actually 51 gigabytes (17 gigabytes/layer). And it is just at technology proposal at this point. They would need to submit it to DVD Forum for approval. Once we are through that cycle, then one can determine whether it plays or does not (DVD Forum may modify their proposal before ratification).

It hasn't even been submitted for proposal yet. They don't even know if it will work in current players. Why even bother announcing it, unless they're worried about something? Blu-Ray already has 100 & 200GB discs ready to go if you have to change hardware.

· Registered
3,722 Posts

Quote:

I think all these 51GB would be nice, but it would be nicer if the HD DVD-RW blanks are available retail. The 50GB DL BD-R is too d*mn expensive and I need the price to come down. If someone out there has the HD DVD burners, please just release it to retail. The $40 that people are charging for BD-R 50 blanks is highway robbery, even the $13 being charged for BD-R is still too high.

Until HD DVD release their burners and blanks, we'll continue to be robbed blind, so please just release those burners and blanks already.

Besides, the .EVO and HDi structure transcription into BD's .MTS is just too painful to deal with, a HD DVD-R 30 would be pretty useful to lots of people now.

· Registered
359 Posts
The price is most likely kept high incase if someone wants to start pirating movies. No one will pirate a movie on a disk that cost $40+ when they can buy the disk outright for $26.

· Registered
1,123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlsmith /forum/post/0

Amir's statement was that BG50 was a "violation of the laws of physics".

LOL. I guess I have several of those "violations" in my video collection ...

FUD? ROFL ... when HD-DVD dies, this may be one of those quotes that goes down in history.

· Registered
1,123 Posts

Quote:

You're obviously a NooB then ... the "impossible physics" or variants thereof, has already becoming an internet legend. That FUD was rampant about 6 months ago.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.