AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I asked this on another thread but figured it might be better on its own.

Does anyone have any idea if the internal workings of the 50MP1 (scaler, etc) is of the same quality (generation?) of the 42MP3 or will the 50MP2 be the equal of the quality of the 42MP3. In other words, would the PQ of the 50 be equal to the 42 regarding such things as NTSC broadcasts, progressive DVDs etc. THe NEC 50 is the only 50 that falls within my price range but I don't want to sacrifice quality for size. Thanks

Steve

·
Registered
85 Posts
I can't really answer your question, but I can tell you that I am VERY pleased with my 50MP1. I do not have HDTV, but on DVD (Progressive Scan/Component In) the picture is stunning. RGB/VGA in is also excellent.

Pricewise, I am in the same boat as you are. I got the set for $7500 which was a bit more than I intended to spend for a 50" set but overall, I'm very glad I went with plasma and with the NEC 50MP1 in particular.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I'm with gpmoore on this one...

I am absolutely floored by the PQ of my 50MP1 on a non-progressive DVD player, and my computer input is better than any monitor I have ever used.

I am VERY pleased with my purchase and I don't think you can go wrong at the pricepoint the 50MP1's are at right now.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's good to hear the reports on the 50MP1 but can any of you talk to the PQ on NTSC, particularly satellite dish. I saw a Fujitsu 4242 with this input and it was awful. Did not see a 50 Fuji but figure it would be about the same. A lot of people with the NEC42MP3 have raved about satellite on it and that's why I asked about the internal workings of the 50MP1, to get some idea if it behaves the same with a satellite signal. Most of my viewing will still be NTSC so this is crucial. THanks

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have AT&T digital cable. Picture is fair on "lower" channels, but on movie channels it is reasonably good with noise reduction on.

·
Registered
198 Posts
PQ with DirecTV through S-Video is quite good on the broadcast channels (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, etc.), at least as good my previous 32" CRT, if not better. On the Premium channels (Pay per View, HBO, etc.) it is even better. It goes without saying, the better the source, the better the picture.

I would recommend getting a very good quality S-Video cable if you are going that route. At first I had a cheap cable that was causing some sort of impedence mismatch, and I was getting some scrolling lines when watching my satellite. I got a much better cable and it cleared right up. I am very happy with my satellite, DVD, and computer pictures.

I have found myself watching a lot more of my DVD's lately thanks to the "movie like" experience of the 50" 16:9 screen, and making a few more trips to rent them as well. I still can't believe what a good picture it gets.

The 50MP1 has to be one of the most enjoyable and satisfying purchases I have made in a long time.

·
Registered
598 Posts
skronwith,

I am in the exact same boat you are.I have a Mp3 right now and it is really great on every source.I will tell you that the picture quality is much better on the mp3(sat and cable) than my previous 50" set that got destroyed.I do not have to use my Iscan pro anymore..this internal scaler is better.

I also have a chance to purchase a 50mp1 at a good price.My dilemma,lose PQ with size or get used to the smaller display.There is a place in town that rents the 50mp1,I am thinking of renting one next week to see if it meets my needs.I will let you know....

·
Registered
598 Posts
Well,I did not do the rental.I got the price I wanted ($6300) and pounced on it.Too good to pass up.I talked to NEC and they said that the scaler in the 50mp1 is the same as the one in the 42mp3...although I do not believe them,Ill bet it is the one in the 42mp2.

My major problem with the 42" is that I had a 50" plasma and even though you get used to the size...you never forget the extra real estate.

I will give you my report when my 50 arrives and tell you if I made the right choice.

Gregg

·
Registered
15 Posts
Gregg

I am mulling over the same issue right now, but it wouldn't be an issue anymore with the kind of price you got. The best I could find was $7,100 for MP1. Unless a big secret, where did you get the $6,300 price. I'll send them money today!

·
Registered
598 Posts
grose,

I got dell to honor the 20% off which came out to $6358 free shipping,one day delivery.

·
Registered
15 Posts
You certainly got a great deal. In browsing through the AVS postings I noticed other people talking about the same sale. Is it something Dell does periodically or you were just lucky/persistent?

·
Registered
198 Posts
grose,

If you are around the Arkansas area I have a couple of NEW in the box never opened NEC 50MP1 for sale for $5900 each. Please check out the Classified section here.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sorry, great price, but I am in LA. I understand the reluctance to ship by Fed Ex. Looks pretty ugly from what I can see. If you find another way to ship, let me know. I'll probably be still waiting for the Dell sale.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.