AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I have seen this information on some of the threads I have been reading, but can't seem to locate it again. One was a particularly nice description, with picture, of the back of the ...7UY, and a list of the standard inputs shipped with the set and maybe a list of optional inputs, slots, etc.

I am trying to add up what I would need for extra cards/blades in order to determine the real cost of the ..7UY. Could we have a discussion here on the inputs available and options for the ...7UY.

In my personal case, I have a STB, VHS, DVD that will need to be supported, but I don't want to limit the discussion to just these components, I may be adding some other things. In particular, I will certainly be adding a new 5.1 HT System later, which will change things, but I need to get through the TV purchase first.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Just ordered the 50" yesterday from plamsa concepts and they told me the following: ships with:

1- component bnc input (ships with adapters to change it to RCA

1- svideo/composite input

1 - rgb input (I bought the converter from them for $60.00 that converts the rgb to component.

2 - emply slots (I bought the dvi board for one of these slots)

that leaves me 1 empty slot for future upgrades like dvi or hdmi

·
Registered
83 Posts
dvdguru, are you sure?

I also ordered mine from PC yesterday but although I haven't talked specifics with them about the inputs, my understanding is that out of the 3 slots available, slots 2 and 3 come filled with the component and composite/s-video blades, leaving only slot 1 empty. However, just like other people, we will be using our DVI blade on slot 1 which means no slots will be available after that.

Check BruZZI's Panny FAQ to see what I mean.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=407154

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Hey, my salesman said there was also a "fixed" VGA input that could be converted to component with the $60.00 adapter I bought. I'm hoping he's right.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Here's what Bruzzi posted in that other thread I started:

Slot 1 = Empty

1 S-Video/Composite Board - installed on the slot 2

1 Component Board - Installed on the Slot 3

1 Component VGA (The VGA can be also used as a component) - Fixed Input

·
Banned
10,928 Posts
The TH-50PHD7UY is equipped with a standard terminal board mounted in slots 2 and 3. Slot 1 is left empty for an optional terminal board. The standard terminal board can be removed to allow up to three optional boards.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
dvdguru - same question as overtime -- based on your last post, it doesn't seem to agree with what the salesman is telling you.

Also, how do these slots work. Can you just cycle through the various slots/input options for input.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Regarding the fixed VGA inputs, on some of the pictures I have seen, it appears that there are 2 VGA inputs. Can both of these be changed to component inputs and can they be selected seperately.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
GregW - thanks. What would you do with the RS-232 serial port.

Also, I just found a blow-up of the fixed input port in a Panasonic brochure and it also shows an "Audio Input (for PC)" is also on this port/slot. What is Audio Input going to do with a display with no speakers -- where is that audio supposed to be going.

·
Registered
83 Posts
dvdguru, yes, there is a fixed VGA input that can be used as component with the right cable. So you and you salesman are right there, no worries.

The part I wasn't so sure about is this:
Quote:
2 - emply slots (I bought the dvi board for one of these slots)
Assuming you're still using whatever blades came with the set, I don't think this is the case. Once you put your DVI blade in there, you'll have:

1 component bnc input (ships with adapters to change it to RCA)

1 svideo/composite input

1 RGB input (which can be used with the converter you bought)

1 DVI input

That will leave you with no empty slots.

·
Registered
155 Posts
The audio input feeds the small internal amplifier, capable of driving the optional (or other small) speakers, negating the need for an external amplifier in a non-HT setup.

Jeff

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Jeff - I guess the audio comes out of one of the stereo speaker jacks on one of the other ports -- which was one of my other questions -- although I might need more clarification as to where the sound comes out.

Also, kinda of along the same lines, I have noticed (again from the Panasonic brochure) that the Composite Video Terminal Board comes in two styles;

- one with 2 (R & L) audio jacks out, an S-video, and 2 BNC (in and out) CVBS connectors

- the other board has 2 (R & L) audio jacks out, an S-video, and 1 RCA CVBS jack

First of all, what is CVBS.

Second, why is there and IN and OUT on the BNC connectors one one board, but only one input (I assume) RCA jack on the other board.

From the comments I am getting, I assume the ...7UY comes with the BNC version of the Composite Video board (right?), but I am curious about the other two questions I have asked above.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
You're correct, Rayon. I misspoke. What I meant was I would have 1 slot left over to use for something else when I removed the svideo/composite board as I don't think I'll be using that one. Maybe I should start a settings/tweaks thread just for this tv? whatcha think?

·
Registered
77 Posts
The 7UY comes standard with an RCA Composite/S-Video board and a BNC Component board.

And the difference between it and the 6UY is that the boards standard on the screen in Slots 2 and 3 are separate this time around and not one big board like in the 6UY. Much easier to upgrade.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
dvdguru,

Could you provide a link to the $60 converter that converts the rgb input to component? I looked for it on their site, but could not find it. I'd like to pick one of these up so I can have an extra component connection. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I just checked and don't see it there either but it is for sale from them. Email them and I'm sure they'll send one out to you.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Matt Tucker
The 7UY comes standard with an RCA Composite/S-Video board and a BNC Component board.

And the difference between it and the 6UY is that the boards standard on the screen in Slots 2 and 3 are separate this time around and not one big board like in the 6UY. Much easier to upgrade.
Yup. :)

Here's an illustration of the inputs - "7UY" Models:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attac...chmentid=28160

Brent and Dvdguru, The VGA input on the "6UY" and "7UY" models accept component signals.

NO CONVERTER'S NEEDED.

Just get a VGA/Component cable like this one: http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/h...s.html#hd15rgb

That's it.

Sorry If my post wasn't too clear.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.