AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here done a steaming rat, avia or dve calibration on the 50phd7uy?

There are so many additional settings on this set then I'm used to.

Such as temperature: normal, warm, cool

AGC, ON or OFF

Automatic Color : On or OFF

and a slew of other color white push settings of which I have no idea how to set.

Can someone post some settings to try out?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tried using my Video Essentials DVD. Brightness is a +3. But the picture adjustment didn't show blooming really, so I set it what seems pleasant to my eye after a weekend of movies and HD movies. -9.

Color -9 and tint -2. Using the color filter with the VE DVD it was -5 color I believe, but I found it too much.

Sharpness +2.

I'm surprised no one has commented on color temp, color management, and advanced settings such as gamma, AGC and white balance on red and blue.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The reason I am asking, btw, is that in dark scenes, I just can't see the detail. For example, black blazers, or jackets, I can't see any detail, it looks like the persons hair, background and jacket is just one big black blob. And the whites just look so bright, too bright. I can't seem to get a balance between overlight bright whties, and good detail in blacks. What probably bothers me more is the lack of detail in black scenes.

The panny blacks, are true blacks. But the detail isn't there.

Any helP?

·
Registered
846 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gadgetfreaky
The reason I am asking, btw, is that in dark scenes, I just can't see the detail. For example, black blazers, or jackets, I can't see any detail, it looks like the persons hair, background and jacket is just one big black blob. And the whites just look so bright, too bright. I can't seem to get a balance between overlight bright whties, and good detail in blacks. What probably bothers me more is the lack of detail in black scenes.

The panny blacks, are true blacks. But the detail isn't there.

Any helP?
I have made the same observations with my 50PHD6UY, but I don't think it's a shortcoming of the display or the settings, but rather the source material. Sometimes the detail just isn't there in the source. If I notice a dark object such as an actors dark hair that seems lacking detail, I adjust the brightness up and often find that the detail just isn't there to begin with. With different (better quality?) source material, where the scenes are lighted and shot properly using good cameras, you will see all the detail of dark objects if your brightness (black level) is set correctly.

As for the bright whites, again, this varies with the source. I've seen this mostly with HDTV shows. The only solution I've found is to dial down the Picture/Contrast (white level) and then readjust the black level. The white level on my 50PHD6UY is currently at -7, but I've had it as low as -12. My brightness (black level) setting is between -1 and +3, depending on the source material.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I agree with Rob. I have on occasion seen little or no shadow detail on our plasma and found that it also is not visible on our 27" direct view (CRT). Sometimes the shadow detail is lost during MPEG compression, and sometimes it simply isn't present to begin with in the original film or video.

-Steve

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.