Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

In a nutshell I have the Hitachi 50v500 and love pic quality sound etc.

However have noticed little grey areas of pixels that take about 30 minutes to "warm up" before going away until next start up.

Electronics store offered me a month old floor model of the 60" GWIII at even trade for my new 50v500 as they have a LOT of returns on 50v500 and have none in stock.

After reading a lot of amazingly informative posts on this model it seems GWIII also has problems (bulb, not starting) warranting trade in.

Any advice?

Are pixels warming up just part of this new technology?

If others have this problem are the affected areas spreading?

If I decide on GWIII Is there a date on back of model that signifies models coming out after problem?

Which of the two problems do you more experienced folks feel is acceptable as all of these models seem to have some problems?

·
Registered
107 Posts
My store has been selling the 50v500 since it came out and have only had one return. It is our third most popular big screen and the two ahead are half the price. The Sony is nice as well but I personally prefer the Hitachi. If they only have the Sony I guess I would get it. I would definitely check the hours that are on the lamp. 12hours per day times 31 day is 372 hours which is only about 6.5% of the bulb life but if the set has been on the floor 2 or 3 months the bulb might be 15% gone.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
33flatbush,

The problem you refer to the Hitho's have termed as smudges and i don't think it is pixel related. As far as anyone can tell, it is screen related. For most who have the problem it is nothing more than a minor irritation. Why would you tempt fate and trade a tv you love for one that has had a zillion problems associated with it? I guess I don't get it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for info.

After more reading it seems like GWIII is loaded with bulb problems.

Will check date on floor model for Jan 04 and later and if I hear of others having warming up pixels and living with it perhaps i'll just get warranty

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I only just learned of the zillion problems with GWIII and will most likely not take the bait (i thought they were being nice at CC) am still curious if these smudges spread and if 04 GWIII models are OK

I love my hitachi but don't want any irritations after dropping 3 grand

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
So far, there have been no reports of the smudges spreading if that is what you have. Again, they are not to my knowledge pixel problems but rather a screen issue as far as we can acertain. You might want to spend some time in the Hitachi threads and view the pics posted by Fouriz to see if that is what you are having.

uttimately you have to do what makes you happy and i too would be tempted to trade a 50 for a 60 even.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will check him out thanks

I read someone on another chat group somewhere refer to a "delamination" when referring to a similiar situation

·
Registered
479 Posts
Got my 60" GWIII a few days ago and it is simply stunning. I have not seen the hitachi, so take my comments for what they are worth. I hope and pray I do not experience any problems because I could not imagine a better option in terms of PQ and cost. There is definietely a bulb problem, but the problem may now be resolved and if not, I am confident they are close. I also think the percentage with problems is very low overall.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.