AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can get either TV for roughly the same price (~$1300) at the local AV store, but precious few formal reviews exist for either set. Since there are smarter and more knowledgeable people than me around here, any preferences of one over the other?

It's down to these two because it's going in a bedroom and I don't need to break the bank - so it's really just for movies, SD & HD TV and the odd game. Despite reading some cons about these two TV's, I think both seem to strike a good balance between picture quality, design and value; and I'd rather avoid some of the chronic issues popping up on these boards due to AR peeling (higher end Samsungs) or floating blacks (Panasonics - which is why I didn't include the ST30 among the choices). It'll be a fairly controlled light environment as I have blinds on the one and only window.

Much appreciated to anyone who replies to yet ANOTHER "vs" thread.

Steve

·
Registered
398 Posts
Is there a reason you aren't considering Panasonic? You can get the Panasonic 55" st30 for under $1300, and it is a terrific TV as well (50" in this series on Amazon is about $1100). I own the LG 60PX950 (2010 model) and it is a fantastic TV besides the black levels (Panasonic and Samsung tend to be better) but the color is unbelievable. If I were you I might shoot for the Panasonic though (just ordered the st30 myself although it hasn't arrived yet). It is supposed to be a fabulous TV, the only negative being it has some fluctuating brightness, but that issue is not too bad in the scheme of things. Panasonic also seems to have fixed the rising black levels and floating blacks from the 2010 year.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply, there are three reasons that I'm reluctant on the Panny:

1) Primarily, up here in Canada from all I've seen, the ST is about $200 more than the Samsung or LG ($1300 vs $1500), and Amazon USA isn't an option for us for tv's. It's not a giant amount in the grand scheme of things, but is the lowest 3DTV from Panasonic $200 better than the top of the line LG? I guess I'm stuck on that point.

2) Fluctuating ANYTHING would irk me, and I figure I'd rather have blacks that aren't quite up to par, but stable, as opposed to blacks and/or brightness levels that jump occasionally.

3) Strangely enough, the ST30 strikes me as kinda like the Honda Accord. It's not a very sexy panel despite its strengths, and believe it or not, that has some bearing.

That said, I was looking at an ST30 in person the other day, and it has a beauty of a picture. I'd definitely consider the Panny if I knew there was a solid reason to do so.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts