AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to setup a system that includes the Samsung HLN437W with Comcast's HD service. In looking though threads on this forum I see that you can program the 5100 component video to 1080i or 720p.

Since the Samsung will convert everything to 720p should I set the 5100 to 720p and let it convert the incoming 1080i to the 720p or is it better to set the 5100 at 1080i and let the tv do the coversion? or maybe it makes no difference?

Thanks

Ray

·
Registered
345 Posts
I suggest setting the box for 720 to match the monitor. The primary reason is that 720 native broadcast (e.g. Monday Night Football) will make its way to the screen with no conversions.

The best PQ (but very inconvenient) is to change the Motorola box from 720 to 1080 and visa versa for each program to match the native resolution of the broadcast. This way, the Motorola box passes thru the native signal without any conversion, and the Samsung can then convert 1080 to 720 (The Samsung monitor will do a better job of this than the Motorola box)

If you leave the Motorola set at 1080 all the time, you will get the benefit of the Samsung scaler for 1080 broadcast. But native 720 broadcasts would be converted to 1080 by the Motorola, and then the Samsung will reconvert the 1080 back to 720 - the worst of all scenarios.

If only the Motorola had a "Native" setting ...

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Looks like everything else with HD you end having to compromise. Its too bad they don't put a switch in the 5100 to disable any conversion and just pass the single through native. That would be the easy solution.

Ray

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.