AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 513 has developed a tick I can't remove. It will not scan or ff in reverse only in forward with anything new recorded but with old stuff on the hard drive it will still ff in reverse or scan fast in three speeds in reverse. I hope someone can tell me how dumb I am and give me an easy fix. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok tried the soft restart and to make a long story short it made matters worse now the old recordings could not be FF in reverse or for that matter the back to beginning button above it quit working. Then the digital/analog button quit working as well. It pains me to say this but at 68 years young I foolishly didn't try the obvious. The buttons did not quit all at once but started to follow suit and I lost more and more control. This led me to replace the batteries in the remote and lo and behold everything works again.

Sorry to be such a pain for nothing and thanks for the help. DUH just call me DUMB...!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi guys,

Just me again to give an update and to maybe help someone who has the same problem. The new batteries worked but only for a short period of time. I am guessing that the extra juice in the new batteries overcame the problem but only for a short while. checking on the net I found a youtube video that showed how to check your remote if it is IR (infrared). I checked my remote and sure enough the two buttons that I am having no response with did not light up the IR led when pressed (you cannot see the IR led with the naked eye but any digital camera will make it visible.) but the others did. I proceeded to follow the instructions on how to disassemble the remote and clean it and check for circuit board problems. It was slightly dirty but nothing of major consequence. I cleaned it entirely with IPA (Rubbing alcohol) and let it dry. Put the remote back together, added batteries, and viewed pressing the buttons with a digital camera. The buttons that weren't working are fine now and the remote works as new.

·
Registered
210 Posts
If I recall correctly, that's the same button that failed on my remote too. I ended up getting a few of those Philips remotes (SRP5107) recommended here.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts