AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I talked to a guy at sonicblue today and I found out a few things about the Replay 5160 that I thought that I would share. This info is valid for the 5000 series in general.

1) They removed the function keys on the front to save money. They know that their customers don't like it.

2) The 4000 and 5000 series don't talk to each other right now but on the January software download they will.

3) The January software download will fix the 8 second channel issue

4) You can forward and re-forward shows as many times as you want. Meaning you can send a show to a friend and they can send the same show to another etc ...

5) You can only share 1 show a maximum of 14 times (to prevent you from using your replay as a video server)

6) The nightly software and channel guide check will occur through either dial-up or broadband your choice (sweet)

7) The 5000 series has a screen saver !!! And it is custom !

8) You can put home movies or other video on the replay and send it to another replay (sweet)

9) ReplayTV loves the company that put together PlanetReplay.com

10) SonicBlue has a December special of FREE SHIPPING if you order a 5000 series.

11) They expect the 5160 to be ready between Dec 15 - Dec 31st. They are shooting for early to get it in before Christmas. All development is complete they are just trying to get enough hard drives of the right size for the right price.

12) You can pre-order a 5080 or a 5160 and still get the $50 rebate. They go by order date not ship date.

Hope this helps anyone who is looking at the new 5000 series.

-Squeed

·
Registered
339 Posts
wow i really hope all this is true.. especially the transfer home movies part...

wonder what format/compliance they would have to be in..

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by trancer23
wow i really hope all this is true.. especially the transfer home movies part...

wonder what format/compliance they would have to be in..
Huh? Do a manual record via the AV inputs and Bob's your uncle!

As to #6, isn't that the case now? Just unplug the network to force a dialup? Or does it require some additional action on one's part? Not having a 5000 I'm only guessing, but it seemed an obvious function.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Having finally upgraded one of my 2020's to a 5040 this past holiday weekend I experienced the joys of networking. I have never hooked up a modem to it, only Ethernet. It has already failed to get an IP address once, and when it did it just says it will try later; it never said it would try the modem. So I believe you have to go into setup and tell it you want it to use a modem instead.

·
Registered
510 Posts
You know, I just noticed the issue about #4 and #5 recently w/ my 4500's (I haven't used sending much before). I received my first net sent show, then found out shows in the "Receive" category can't be resent (I'd wanted to move it to a second RTV at home to free up space on the first one)...

Another thing I found out, you can't send a PPV recording at all!? Again same scenario my primary 4500 was almost full and I wanted to move some PPV movies to a second 4500 that still has lots of room. (I can't DVArchive for the moment, no free HDD space -- still awaiting the Maxtor 320GB's).

I guess the RTV can detect from the guide if you're recording something from a PPV channel? I did notice that manual recordings can be sent fine (even if it's PPV)...

·
Registered
339 Posts
i was assuming he was inferring digital transfer via pc/ethernet (like the photos of current).. maybe one to many assumptions.. replaylyndon can you clarify?

Quote:
Originally posted by BaysideBas
Huh? Do a manual record via the AV inputs and Bob's your uncle!

As to #6, isn't that the case now? Just unplug the network to force a dialup? Or does it require some additional action on one's part? Not having a 5000 I'm only guessing, but it seemed an obvious function.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I'm curious, besides PPV, does RTV also block sending of movie recordings from premium channels (HBO/Showtime/etc)?

Guess I should just try it and find out...

Anyways, have all these send restrictions been there from the start, or added recently because of lawsuits?

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Send restrictions have been there from the start.

Even manually recorded, my machine can't send PPV movies.

And yes, you can send cable channels unless they have a block on them, like Showtime does every now and then for certain events.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by heathriel
Even manually recorded, my machine can't send PPV movies.

And yes, you can send cable channels unless they have a block on them, like Showtime does every now and then for certain events.
Okey dokey, good to know...

And in my case I meant manual recording from a manually-specified input (Line-in 2), where I manually change the cable box channel myself.. manually :) Do you still get send restriction when you do this (with a PPV movie)? If so the "locking" flag must be in the actual video signal stream instead of from the channel guide?

Sorry I think this must've been discussed before, I have a really bad long-term memory...

·
Registered
365 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Squeed2000
5) You can only share 1 show a maximum of 14 times (to prevent you from using your replay as a video server)
How will this affect a show transferred to a PC with DVArchive?

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
It is my understanding if the video signal has copy protection encoding then the 4xxx and 50xx will not send it. I would expect that most if not all PPV content will have Macrovision or other copy protection encoding.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Squeed, any talk of making a production change and putting a fan that does not sound like a turbo prop plane on take off? I am sending my 5040 back for this reason. My 4040 (4120) is silent in comparison.

·
Registered
510 Posts
See but that's weird. Again, I'd done a manual recording of that "Monsters Inc." PPV movie, and I was able to net send it to a second RTV on the same LAN...

·
Registered
478 Posts
Send it or stream it? There's a difference.

Also, if you sent it on the same lan, what kind of router/firewall (if any) are you using? Most don't like going INSIDE-->OUTSIDE-->INSIDE like that.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Flobee
Having finally upgraded one of my 2020's to a 5040 this past holiday weekend .
Wow Flobee....

OK, let's see if I got this straight:

You got a 40GB drive to replace the 20GB...

you painted the box silver...

you replaced the red LED with a blue one....

so tell us, what else did you do??????

inquiring minds are dying to know ;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Ok, using the word upgrade on these boards has a totally different connotation than elsewhere...I should have said replaced.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Awwww.... and I thought we were on to significant breakthrough here..:( :( :(

·
Registered
510 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dallben
Send it or stream it? There's a difference.

Also, if you sent it on the same lan, what kind of router/firewall (if any) are you using? Most don't like going INSIDE-->OUTSIDE-->INSIDE like that.
Real net send (send show), to another RTV on same LAN/subnet. There are no copyright restrictions on streaming, I don't think (?)

As I'd posted elsewhere, still using that ol' Linksys BEFSR11 (one of the first batches in production). IntraLAN sends work, but often w/ pauses or just total crap-out needing Linky power cycles :(

And not just from RTV net sends, the Linky tends to freeze up all by itself from time to time, probably overheating (it gets HOT). Used to freeze up a lot more when I had other net boxes stacked on top of it...

P.S. Thinking of stealing the Cisco and Netopia routers at work...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.