AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With Toshiba trying to get the HD-DVD forum to standardize a triple layer 51GB disc this year, does anyone know if Toshiba will have a buy-back program for existing players that can't read the new discs? Something along the lines of $100 trade-in when you exchange your old player is what I'm thinking they will/should offer.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Welcome to the edge of technology. Where you get to play with the latest but no necessarily the final product. Although moving from 15 to 17 megs per layer is most likely a lens focus issue in the case of most rom drives I am not one hundred percent sure of the third layer will be readable by the existing players.

Jorge

·
Registered
26 Posts
I think it is great that HD DVD will be moving to 51GB. This has been a big issue since Blu-Ray had the higher 50GB size. Since SD has been living on 4.7GB DVD does any current movie push the size past the current HD DVD limit of 30GB?

·
Registered
164 Posts
While normally I would assume that such a development would mean obsolete players, Toshiba has really impressed me with their consumer focused approach with HD-DVD. I'd be willing to bet that they wouldn't be pursuing this if they weren't confident a firmware update could maintain compatibility with existing players. I've seen firmware updates for dvd burners fix recording issues with media and even enable dual layer recording, I don't think it should be to hard to enable support for a third layer.

·
Registered
210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWetmore /forum/post/0

51GB would be great, but even 34GB dual layer is a significant improvement.

For 1080p movies. 34GB and VC-1 should allow for enough space for even the longest movies, right? Although the extra layer would allow for more hi-def extras.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by my94r/t /forum/post/0

For 1080p movies. 34GB and VC-1 should allow for enough space for even the longest movies, right? Although the extra layer would allow for more hi-def extras.

I believe 30 GB is enough for 2 1/2 hours of HD content, but when you start getting into the LOTR EE 4 hour mega movies the 51 GB will come in handy. I just don't want to invest in an HD-DVD player now only to find out (assuming HD-DVD survives) that the one movie I want the most (LOTR) will require a different player.

·
Registered
210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleTheater /forum/post/0

I believe 30 GB is enough for 2 1/2 hours of HD content, but when you start getting into the LOTR EE 4 hour mega movies the 51 GB will come in handy. I just don't want to invest in an HD-DVD player now only to find out (assuming HD-DVD survives) that the one movie I want the most (LOTR) will require a different player.

Well in that case, I really hope my add-on drive can handle these through an update. Would love to have LOTR in 1080p.

·
Registered
8,364 Posts
I guess it depends. They might be able to do 4 hours reasonably without extras (aside from a commentary track or two or something) on HD30.

eg.

16 Mbps average, including audio = 7.2 GB per hour, or about 29 GB over 4 hours.

·
Registered
6,077 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleTheater /forum/post/0

With Toshiba trying to get the HD-DVD forum to standardize a triple layer 51GB disc this year, does anyone know if Toshiba will have a buy-back program for existing players that can't read the new discs? Something along the lines of $100 trade-in when you exchange your old player is what I'm thinking they will/should offer.

I'm quite sure all you'll need is a firmware update to read the new discs.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
I am somewhat skeptical that all of the existing hardware would be able to read the new discs, although amazing things can be done via firmware updates.

Personally I think that the 51GB thing is more of a PR stunt than anything else to try to persuade studios still on the fence who are citing BR maximum capacity as one of their reasons for holding out that they should go with HD-DVD

I would personally much rather see them increase peak bandwidth of HD-DVD than increase capacities. Supposedly the maximum bandwidth has been bumped into while doing some of the more difficult encodes (Batman Begins for example).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.