AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can get both for around $2900 shipped from different internet retailers. Is the HD tuner with cable card slot a huge feature? I liked the picture on the JVC a lot tonight. Don't care about other bells and whistles as the TV only gets a video feed for picture. Audio is run through the receiver and speakers. I'm leaning towards the Sony. Any owners of JVCs want to sway me?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3,740 Posts
Just go ahead and get the 55" and report back :)
 

· Registered
Joined
·
762 Posts
I am no expert and my experience is based on store visits, but the JVC just looks sharper and with better color to my eyes than the WE655. I own a 32" Sony CRT now and would prefer to go that way, but between the improved picture and more streamlined cabinet of the JVC I am leaning its way. I have to wonder why Sony is virtually alone now with LCD RPTV. Seems like the majority of the market has moved on.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
209 Posts
Have you seen the 55" Sony yet, because so far I've only seen the 50" and have to say have been more impressed with the JVC. Also the prices seem odd. The Sony sounds like an awesome price, but by comparison the JVC seems high.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
171 Posts
Yeah I have one. It is pretty good, on a store dvd feed I felt that it was comparable to the Kirk I saw next to it. I'm sure the black levels on the kirk would be better outside of a showroom floor situation though. The cool thing is I can get my HD channels for free(minus the premium ones) through cable, and I can also get an antenna to pick up the locals ones that I don't get through cable(like abc, pbs, and upn). The SD channels come in relatively well, but I do need to do some calibration. Check the thread I mentioned above, there are other that have feed back and some pictures as well.

Quote:
Originally posted by wdrazek
I am no expert and my experience is based on store visits, but the JVC just looks sharper and with better color to my eyes than the WE655. I own a 32" Sony CRT now and would prefer to go that way, but between the improved picture and more streamlined cabinet of the JVC I am leaning its way. I have to wonder why Sony is virtually alone now with LCD RPTV. Seems like the majority of the market has moved on.
I would not say that. While it will most likely be replaced by LCOS, Panasonic, Hitachi, and LG are still making the LCD tv's.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by hdiesel1977
Yeah I have one. It is pretty good, on a store dvd feed I felt that it was comparable to the Kirk I saw next to it. I'm sure the black levels on the kirk would be better outside of a showroom floor situation though. The cool thing is I can get my HD channels for free(minus the premium ones) through cable, and I can also get an antenna to pick up the locals ones that I don't get through cable(like abc, pbs, and upn). The SD channels come in relatively well, but I do need to do some calibration. Check the thread I mentioned above, there are other that have feed back and some pictures as well.
Will the HD picture be better than the straight picture on the JVC? They had the same show running on the 70" XBR right above the JVC and the JVC picture lookd as good if not better.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
217 Posts
I went through the same process with the JVC 61" and the Sony 60WF655. I like the look of both (not too much cabinet or silver color plastic).


I ordered the WF655 for the following reasons:

* Cheaper by $500 at the store where I shop.

* Includes the tuner in case I decide that OTA HD for local stations comes in better than through Comcast cable (if/when the Lookout Mtn tower is ever built).

* Black bars on 4x3 material instead of gray (an STB can fix that though).

* Better options for dual-screen viewing.


Sony has more experience with this type of set, although from what I read here JVC has done a very good job of addressing issues. (And experience doesn't always prevent problems such as last year's bulb issues.)


JVC could have deeper blacks and richer colors, but I'm gambling that if the difference is small it won't be an issue when I get the set home and have no side-by-side comparisons.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by jjdenver
I went through the same process with the JVC 61" and the Sony 60WF655. I like the look of both (not too much cabinet or silver color plastic).


I ordered the WF655 for the following reasons:

* Cheaper by $500 at the store where I shop.

* Includes the tuner in case I decide that OTA HD for local stations comes in better than through Comcast cable (if/when the Lookout Mtn tower is ever built).

* Black bars on 4x3 material instead of gray (an STB can fix that though).

* Better options for dual-screen viewing.


Sony has more experience with this type of set, although from what I read here JVC has done a very good job of addressing issues. (And experience doesn't always prevent problems such as last year's bulb issues.)


JVC could have deeper blacks and richer colors, but I'm gambling that if the difference is small it won't be an issue when I get the set home and have no side-by-side comparisons.
Do you mind telling us what you paid for the Sony and elaborate on black vs gray bars. Does the JVC use gray instead of black?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
217 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dougpt10
Do you mind telling us what you paid for the Sony and elaborate on black vs gray bars. Does the JVC use gray instead of black?
I usually shop at Soundtrack, which has nearly identical prices to Crutchfield, but most of the time you can get 10% off because of one sale or another (plus pricematch if there are lower advertised prices at other local stores). I don't haggle well so store list minus 10% (versus MSRP) is OK for me.


I've been watching the JVC threads and so far I haven't seen any posts saying you could change the gray bars to black, even in the service menu. That, to me, is a minor annoyance. If I were to use the Comcast STB, I can fix it there since it can send everything as 16x9 with black bars instead of gray to fill in the 4x3 stuff, but if I use an OTA or direct cable feed I don't have any options.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
339 Posts
I, too, really like the JVC form factor, especially in the black cabinet....but everytime I compare the JVC to the Sony XBR950, I come away liking the Sony image better. I am awaiting the Sony XS955 with the CableCard and Tuner. I can't wait to see that picture. The Sony XS form factor is quite similar to the current XBR950, and while not as "sexy" as the JVC, it shouldn't be too terrible to live with.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Jut bought the JVC 52" D-ILA (LCOS) set after about 3 months of looking and prodding. Almost sprung for the HD2+ but the JVC won me over:


Much brighter whites (my guess: reflective LCOS 3 chip design loses less light than transissive LCD)

Great black levels

Ergo, better contrast ratios

No delay in pixel switching like LCD (no blurs on movement)

No color wheel or rainbow risk (no color mixing- 3 chips means R+G+B happens in the set - not in your head


Actually it is so good you can see some of the defects in the HD broadcast (compression effects that happen rapidly that I could not see as clearly in the slow moving LCD sets)


I'm still within the 30 day BB try period. But so far after 3 days - I have been impressed.


Questions, let me know.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
217 Posts
Rocket_man_57...


When you mentioned motion blur on LCD, was that based on actually seeing it on current model sets or was that based on reports from elsewhere?


The reason I ask is that early flat-panel LCD monitors certainly did have slow pixel response time, but I didn't think that was a problem on recent LCP RPTVs.


Congratulations on your purchase. I went the other way (60WF655) but if I find I'm not happy with it I will be back at the store again looking at the 61" JVC, and maybe by then they will have the model with but tuner built in.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by jjdenver
Rocket_man_57....


Congratulations on your purchase. I went the other way (60WF655) but if I find I'm not happy with it I will be back at the store again looking at the 61" JVC, and maybe by then they will have the model with but tuner built in.
I wound up going with the 61" JVC. I sat in front of the 52" for almost an hour at best buy and played with all the settings. I just felt the 52 would not be big enough while the 61 may be a tad too big. I had a few other people come with me and they all were amazed at JVCs picture compared with the Sonys we looked at. I got a great deal on the 61" locally and it will be delivered Friday. I'm excited to say the least. Doug
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top