AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking at both of these TV's for some time, and while I think the Bravia may have slightly better black levels, the specs list the Aquos with a better response time. I do know that even response times are measured differently by different manufacturers and it's hard to look for "blurring" in a big box store. I also know that some people are less susceptible to seeing this kind of artifact.

So, how are both of these TVs with handling fast motion of sports, movies, and games? Is there any noticable blur in ESPNs ticker or other motion?

Not looking for one brand to be bashed, but for first-hand experience with either of them.

·
Registered
9,590 Posts
If you have a PS3 and Ninja Gaiden Sigma (or the demo) you can use that to check for motion blur by watching the trees at the beginning level as you spin the camera quickly. On an HD CRT there will be no detail lost at all in the trees, on any other tech there will be a loss of detail, CRT is the only tech right now that won't blur at all with this test.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I use a Sharp 42" D64 for gaming and it is perfect. There is absolutely no motion blur, ghosting, or input lag. I have probably logged a few hundred hours on it with my xbox 360. I have heard that the Sony W3000 series has motion blur problems. In fact you can do a search and find screen shots of video games on that TV showing high amounts of blur. You will be happy with the Sharp, believe me.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the replies, any feedback from the Sony owners? I was leaning towards the Bravia for picture quality, but if there's more of an issue with the blurring on it that could tip me towards the Sharp.

I did find out one of my coworkers has a 52" Sharp. Not sure if it's a 64U, but I may be able to test my Xbox360 on it this weekend.

·
Registered
125 Posts
im trying to get credit for my KDL52w3000. I went through two sets and they both had problems (two horizontal lines on the screen visible on blank inputs and all black screens). Smearing and ghosting made alot of games unplayable for me (halo 3,call of duty 4, drake's fortune, assassin's creed). It is a great set however, so I suggest to triple check it to see if it fits your needs early on if you buy it. For me personally, it didnt.

The smearing thing is real, and you see it most during gaming. its hard to explain, but when you move the blacks follow everything else last. The question is whether it happens to all 52w3000s or not. Mine was built in october 2007 and had it. Again, im not trying to push you either way, but you need to be fully aware of it and purchase from a place that has a very good return/exchange policy. this applies to ANY set that you pick. Ive had to kick and scream for my store to give me credit because i wasnt informed enough to know that this set had potential drawbacks. Im gonna be looking into the samsungs and the whole 120hz thing. Im not gonna use it, its more of a bonus, but i want to have the option in the future (maybe it'll help some games). I feel that since in my case its gonna be a 6 year span until i get another tv, i might as well get the one that fits most of my needs.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Well it is truely a choice of two evils banding or smearing. The Sharp sets have banding and the Sony sets smear (some less then others). It's a tough call but try one and if you don't like take it back for the other within the return period.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts