AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been doing a lot of research into a new HDTV and have semi-narrowed it down to either the 52" Sharp Aquos 52D62U LCD or the 50" Pioneer PDP-5070HD Plasma. I'm looking for a quality set that I'll be happy with for quite a while. Opinions on which you'd lean toward?

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
I think the 5070 is leaps ahead of the Aquos. Not hard to see on ANY source.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I decided to go with the Pioneer PDP-5070HD. Paid $2640 (with free in-home delivery) on Amazon. I just keep reading too many good things about it. A couple of things I considered:

Light Reflections: Not much of an issue. No windows facing the set. It is a half-basement level family room. I'm not worried about glare with the plasma.

Viewing Distance: To the couch is about 10.5 feet so, even though 1080p output would be nice, it's not absolutely necessary in this case.

Also, I was very tempted to go with the Panasonic TH-50PX60U (on sale for $1999 at Best Buy and Circuit City this week). It is also pretty well-reviewed. But the lack of a VGA input, lack of CableCard (actually not a huge deal to me), the sheer ugliness of the Panasonic compared to the Pioneer, as well as the general consensus on the quality of the Pioneer's picture swayed me in its favor. Factoring in no tax on Amazon, the Pioneer only came out to about $500 more.

I'll post an update with impressions once it arrives.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.