AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got the LN52650A and the blu-ray content looks as advertised but compared to my 3 year old 42" panny, the HD (or SD channels for that matter) channles are not even viewable IMO. I have gone through cal and tried the gimmic settings on and off, low, med, high. I have directv and HD content was breathtaking on my panny. The set-top is set to pass through native and most HD content hits the set at 1080i. The menus look like dog SH!t and the picture is blurry, with jerking and studdering. I realize this is partly due to the jump in screen size but man, I can't deal with HD channels looking worse than SD channels did on my old panny plasma. Please tell me my set is defective so I can get another one becasue the 1080P is by far the leader on this set. Otherwise, to sacrafice so much on what I watch 90% of the time to get a better picture for what I 10% of the time makes no sense.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Film mode should be auto1, that helps with blur on a 1080i source.

With Auto1 and AMP Low, it should look smooth, if slightly soap opera-like.

If you still have trouble try updating the firmware, changing the input to component etc.

·
Registered
6,242 Posts
It never ceases to amaze me how many first-time posters start off in a rage, fail to totally describe the problem, use near-profane language, and expect us to diagnose their problem and feel sorry for them. Well, my Samsung 46A650 is perfect and has been from day one. Maybe when you adjust your attitude you can do a better job of adjusting your set, or at least describe the problem in a manner that we may (you notice I said MAY) feel a little sympathy for you and be willing to help.

·
Registered
5,088 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim /forum/post/15430060

It never ceases to amaze me how many first-time posters start off in a rage, fail to totally describe the problem, use near-profane language, and expect us to diagnose their problem and feel sorry for them. Well, my Samsung 46A650 is perfect and has been from day one. Maybe when you adjust your attitude you can do a better job of adjusting your set, or at least describe the problem in a manner that we may (you notice I said MAY) feel a little sympathy for you and be willing to help.

The profanity is supposed to let us know that they are really, really mad

·
Registered
263 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopperMcFly /forum/post/15429982

I just got the LN52650A and the blu-ray content looks as advertised but compared to my 3 year old 42" panny, the HD (or SD channels for that matter) channles are not even viewable IMO. I have gone through cal and tried the gimmic settings on and off, low, med, high. I have directv and HD content was breathtaking on my panny. The set-top is set to pass through native and most HD content hits the set at 1080i. The menus look like dog SH!t and the picture is blurry, with jerking and studdering. I realize this is partly due to the jump in screen size but man, I can't deal with HD channels looking worse than SD channels did on my old panny plasma. Please tell me my set is defective so I can get another one becasue the 1080P is by far the leader on this set. Otherwise, to sacrafice so much on what I watch 90% of the time to get a better picture for what I 10% of the time makes no sense.

You've found the achilles heel in LCD big screen tv watching. The SD channels are going to look like crap for the most part. You will see every flaw, every artifact, every blurred and darkened color. This is due to the fact that you are watching a "poor" source feed (compared to HD) on a huge set. Watch it on a 20 inch tube set and there is nothing to complain about. Blow it up to 3 times that size and, well...yuck.

The HD channels should be fine. If not, you have some calibrating to do, or your source is to blame (overcompression, weather-related signal problems, etc). The set does a magnificent job on HD channels...I have both the 46 and 52 650 and I could not be happier.

If you calibrate and tweak and you still have poor HD reception, I would post your screenshots here so people can attempt to help, or contact your provider and see if they can add an amplifier to your system to increase signal strength. Of course, you may actually have a defective set, but until we can see screenshots and analyze symptoms and pics, it is hard to say.

C

·
Registered
16,177 Posts
Something is not right. There is no way that true HD broadcasts look worse than SD on your old display! Are you viewing SD content on HD channels (they don't broadcast in HD 24/7)? Is the set-top box accidently set to output SD resolution? Have you gone into the service menu and screwed things up? Have you used a calibration DVD to PROPERLY adjust your display? As previously posted, w/o any details, we cannot help you.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will report more information as well as results later on. I do understand that going from 42" plasma to 52" LCD is going to have some drastic difference. Until that time I will simply state the following: Wall-E and other such movies on this set are beyond words, many movies actually look too real and I have to dumb them down to avoid the "soap opera" effect. I have to turn all the gimmics off for Prince Caspian to avoid this. I performed the simple cal from Wall-e and found my settings to end up right in line with many others posted here.

To be more specific until I can provide more data, shows like House, Ice road truckers, OCC, etc..... just looks much better on the old panny. The Dick Clark New Years special was interesting, they were clearly using a filter on the Seacrest and Pickler and not on the face shots of the average Joes they talked to but overall I found the "HD" picture quite poor regardless of settings.

Will report back soon.

And to clarify, HD channels broadcasting 1080i looked tighter and better on the 720P panny plasma. And SD looked beter onthe panny as well. It is only blue-ray that destroys the panny as it should.

Also, Shrek 2 was fairly sick on this set that was broadcast from the set-top. So anitmated movies have no issue on this set.

I think the sheer jump in size and clarity must be placing a magnifying glass on the varying differences in HD feeds and capture.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Your last sentence is probably 85% of the problem you are seeing.

My guess is the Dick Clark program was using a hand-held in the crowd and that may have caused some irregularities.

By the way, was tough watching Dick Clark last night. Wow. I commend the guy for hanging in there, but that was not an easy watch.

C

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes that was very difficult to watch. And yeah he is a trooper for sure. So Im wondering if a 50" 700U plasma may be a better fit for what I am looking for in terms of general daily viewing.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
bump

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So for me, I find far too much jerkyness and lag with LCD. Regardless of settings, I can look at a face and see the motion blur that I did not find with plasma.

For one, my living room is too small at 12x15 with a forced 9' viewing distance, it is just too much. I do realize the charts say otherwise, I'm just going by pref here.

House for instance is one of the shows that look pretty detailed at Auto1 and Amp low. Anymore than that and yeah soap opera look destroys experience. And even with I still find it hard to believe the videophiles find the trailing and blur acceptable in any way.

Also the gloss bezel and screen are like mirrors. In my case, I found large amounts of glare in daylight hours. I understand a gloss screen for the improved contrast, but gloss bezel?

I was very excited about this set. I now plan on returning it for a 46" plasma. The plasma doesnt have the popping brightness and bright whites thatg I desperatley wish they did but the trade-off may be worth it to me.

I will try a few more things later and let you know if I find anything new.

Its almost as if techonolgy has pushed us to a point where there is either too much processing that strips the intended feel or you are stuck in the opposite end of the spectrum where the content isnt even tolerable.

If I were to watch 1080P BRDs most of the time I would be in heaven because that is the category that I find this set truly amazing. Aside from that, im back to the search.

Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
i think you might have helped with my predicament. I have the same rough dimension just about...mine is 11 x 16 and my viewing distance right now is a 7"-8" feet. When I play video games though I slouch like crazy and I'm probably at 6"...i need to be close for games. Anyway I have the 46a650 but I'm thinking of upgrading to the 52a650 to really experience the 1080p and effects of a big tv but now after reading your post maybe I should stick with what I have.

Have you thought about going to the 46" version?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.