AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to use my new sound system in conjunction with my 52W4100. I would like to use the TV speakers as the center speaker in my setup but I am having some troubles.

1. I have a PS3 Outputting 5.1 Dolby via HDMI to the 52W4100.

2. I plug in optical audio from the TV to the Reciever (I don't have HDMI Inputs on the receiver). The receiver only recieves 2.0 instead of 5.1.

3. PS3 can't transmit both Optical and HDMI audio simultaneously.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyartz /forum/post/15554388

I am trying to use my new sound system in conjunction with my 52W4100. I would like to use the TV speakers as the center speaker in my setup but I am having some troubles.

1. I have a PS3 Outputting 5.1 Dolby via HDMI to the 52W4100.

2. I plug in optical audio from the TV to the Reciever (I don't have HDMI Inputs on the receiver). The receiver only recieves 2.0 instead of 5.1.

3. PS3 can't transmit both Optical and HDMI audio simultaneously.

Unfortunately many TV's are like this. If you had only known.
As for the PS3 - that's a well known issue to. All ribbing aside. I thought there was a poster in the W4100 boards that got 5.1 pass through. I could be wrong though. I've never owned a TV that did it though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have the exact same configuration as you. As for the PS3, one could only hope that this issue gets addressed in a future firmware update.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by FusionGuy33 /forum/post/15554988

I have the exact same configuration as you. As for the PS3, one could only hope that this issue gets addressed in a future firmware update.

I changed my setup to:

1. PS3 to TV VIA HDMI - VIDEO

2. PS3 to Receiver via Optical - AUDIO

This is the only way I can get 5.1 to work. For some reason "bradman" can get his Xbox 360 to passthrough his 52W4100, but I think he has a super expensive receiver that lets him do that.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I had a 52WL140 for a couple months (I recently returned it in favor of a 52XBR6). The WL140, which I understood to be identical to the W4100, most definitely passed DD 5.1 through to it's optical out, as does the XBR6.

In my case, the source is my HTPC, connected to HDMI 4, with the audio coming over the HDMI. The receiver is a Sony HT-SS2300, receiving audio from the set via the optical cable. The receiver's "Dolby Digital" light comes on and I get 5.1 sound when I play a DD5.1 source on the HTPC (i.e. my HDTV tuner card, played using BeyondTV).

Like I said, I understood the WL140 to be identical to the W4100, but maybe not? I'd be really surprised that the W4100 doesn't have this capability.

Are you sure the PS3 sends DD5.1 over it's HDMI? I know nothing about thee PS3, but I have one device, a satellite receiver, that outputs DD5.1 over it's optical output only, but not over it's HDMI output (annoys me, too). Could it be possible that the PS3 is the same?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by OFF_ONLINE /forum/post/15555855

try settings your ps3 video setting to have bitstream audio. helped me get 5.1

I think that did the trick. For some reason it didn't work before. It works fine now except there is an audio lag between my tv sound and the sound coming out of the system.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts