AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Legitimate i.e. meaningful question - i am replacing a 65 inch Hitachi RPTV and while my wife would love to reclaim some of the family room with a smaller TV footprint - I'm OK with that to a degree.

So - looking at the V-10 - 54 inch vs 58 inch options.

Variables 54 inch has/is:

single sheet of glass and 13.3% smaller screen area

Q - if price issue is non factor what are your opinions on smaller screen area and more importantly single sheet vs whatever else panny is offering?

Appreciate your thoughts.

Lyson

·
Registered
33 Posts
I would want the 58" for a couple of reasons-

First- You will notice the reduction in screen size. Going all the way down to 54" is a trip too far in my opinion.

Second- I think the 'One Sheet of Glass' thing is a bit over blown. The trim on the One Sheet of Glass 50" Panasonic last year looked cheap compared to the regular bezel on the 58".

Third- The PDP will look a lot smaller and less imposing than the RPTV anyway.

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyson /forum/post/16921608

. . . . . looking at the V-10 - 54 inch vs 58 inch options. Variables 54 inch has/is: single sheet of glass and 13.3% smaller screen area

Q - if price issue is non factor what are your opinions on smaller screen area and more importantly single sheet vs whatever else panny is offering?

Both these TVs have two layers of glass - the "one sheet" on 54 incher is just a different design where the 2nd layer extends to the edge of the TV while the glass on the 58 incher disappears below the plastic bezel all around. There is zero performance advantage on the 54 incher.

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
get a 65" panny. the new models should be available soon.

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephandrews222 /forum/post/16924608

dssturbo1: I wonder if you might suggest what the approximate prices will be for the 58S1 and its 65 inch 'brother'....I note the approximate 2K closeout price for the TH-58PZ800U

Cleveland Plasma has the 58" S1 and 65" S1 on their website with good prices.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for the replies - very happy to hear that the single sheet of glass is a non-issue. I think I'll go with the 58 inch - with the much smaller footprint and smaller diag. sizing when compared to my 65 inch RPTV - it will look good as a compromise to my wife.

Can't put it on the wall - due to large speaker size and room configuration limitations but if I can find a tv stand that lets me suspend the V-10 over my large CC speaker stand - I'll also gain a lot of room. Maybe Billy Bags will make one for me.

Can't wait to get started.

Thanks again

Lyson

1 - 8 of 8 Posts