AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I am sorry, as I am know this has most likely be talked about, but maybe not in this way.

I am ready to pull the trigger on my HTPC, but I have a question about the HD. Would a 5400 RPM drive (WD Caviar Green 1TB) be fast enough to serve up to 3 total machines with HD content? I plan on building my HTPC with a Zotac Atom Ion MB, and maybe the MB will be more of the bottleneck instead of the HD, but I just dont want to get something that will not be able to handle the load. I also plan on getting a separate small, 7200 for the OS. Would a 2.5 be much cooler (heat wise) than a 3.5?

I want the 5400 if possible to reduce noise and heat, and last a little longer if possible.

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,056 Posts
depends on the HD content.

Blu-Ray is 50mbps, ATSC is 19mbps, satallite and cable somewhere between 8-12mbps (fios will do 19mbps), recompress internet sources are usually 7-8mpbs or less.

even a 5400 drive can usually do 20MB (bytes not bits) a second or 160mbps.

3BD's might be a stretch but 3 720p torrents wouldn't break a sweat.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Excellent, glad to hear it...honestly, it would be a strech if all 3 machines were doing 1080p, but glad to hear it. Now, would it be a no brainer with a 7200 one?

What does everyone think I should get, the 5400 or 7200? Again, this will be a stand alone drive (I think that is the best way to do it, right?) that would house data.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
If this is your c: go with 7200. It will give other benefits such as zippier navigation. Its not that much more power and if its the only drive I would for sure go 7200.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No, I was going to have another drive, 7200, acting as my C:\\ along with the large data drive. I am now just wondering if I go with a 2.5 or a 3.5 drive. Space is not really an issue, since it will just be my OS, etc.

·
Registered
701 Posts
If it's just your OS and programs you may even consider an SSD if noise is going to be an issue and if budget allows. That way your larger green drive can power down when not in use and you'll have 0 hard drive noise, other wise, even the 7200rpm WD scorpio drives are surprisingly quiet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts