AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the Toshiba 34HF83, it says it converts all signals to 1080i or 540p. Umm... so that means I have to choose between 540p and 1080i for my 480p DVD player and Gamecube? Does this help, hurt, or really do nothing to the image? Because I don't see any way converting a native 480p to one of these formats can be good. I don't give a crap about 480i, and that really can't be hurt. Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
:confused: so yeah i was about to get the 36hf83 since it seems to have bout the same performance but a higher reliability rating over the sony 36hs but there is this 540P thing i'm stuck on as is my friend mr bobby fro can this be turned off?????? just got an ok denon DVD-1200 and don't want any decrease in pic quality any help form the new toshiba owners would help o and one more thingie where are these sets made/assembled??????? the sonys made in mexico right?

·
Registered
757 Posts
I have the 30HF83. I believe you have the option of displaying 480p signals as either 540p or 1080i. Since I currently don't have anything that puts out 480p ( I have a regular DVD player ), I can't tell you how the 540p looks.

The default on the set is to display 1080i for all incoming signals.

If I'm wrong about this, please someone correct me.

Update. Here is a quote from Crutchfield on the 30HF83

"Conventional interlaced signals (antenna, cable, VHS/S-VHS VCR, etc.) are upconverted to 1080i by Toshiba's CrystalScan HDSCâ„¢ circuitry. Of course, you won't see the depth and dimensionality of a true 1080i HDTV signal, but you will enjoy a smoother, more natural image. For progressive-scan video sources (like a progressive-scan DVD player), you can choose 540p instead of 1080i via the on-screen menu. The result is an effortlessly filmlike image."

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Interesting.

Toshiba (and some other manufacturers) have been doing this on their RPTVs for a while. Check out the RPTV forums ... you'll get a variety of opinions. Anything from 'serious picture quality degredation' to 'looks just fine'.

This is a way to cut costs. 540p / 1080i have the same scan rate for the CRT. Supporting another scan rate (480p) is often more expensive then having hardware that will scale 480p to 540p / 1080i.

I doubt there is a way to turn it off as the TV probably can't actually display 480p (it must scale it for display).

Whenever possible, I would use the DVI input for 480p sources on these sets (should reduce A/D conversion needs).

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm.... should I be worried about image quality being somewhat poorer than a TV that doesn't convert the 480p signal?

·
Registered
10,481 Posts
It probably depends on how good the TV's scaling and de-interlacing is. Galomyr seems to have first-hand experience on this. Perhaps he could expand a little further. I'd also be curious to know which looks better with DVDs on this TV, 540p or 1080i.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.